RE: [norse_course] álfr

  • David Appleby
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2013
      RE: [norse_course] álfr

      Forget "alfr".  I'm wondering how to pronounce "Sygyrd"!

      David

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2013

         Forget "alfr".  I'm wondering how to pronounce "Sygyrd"!

        David

        lol.  All other recognizable permutations of Sigurd were taken when I took the handle years ago.  Funny thing is, I've run across another sygyrd online, so apparently I wasn't the only one that had the idea.

        Thank you everyone for the help with
        álfr.  My heart lies with wanting to learn the reconstructed ON pronunciations, but resources one can listen to seem to be pretty sparse.  Whereas, if I learn the Modern Icelandic pronunciations, I figure I kill two birds with one stone.  Maybe if I go to Iceland one day it'll come in handy.  And thus, to answer a question, I was using that website for help with pronunciation.

        I've found the recordings and readings on our website.  Are there any other pronunciation guides that you use online?  I find that reading how to pronounce something and understanding it intellectually is quite different for me than hearing it.