álfr

  • Sygyrd Sygyrdson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2013
      So, I go to look up how to pronounce álfr / álfur at

      and the lady there pronounces it with a "sh" sound at the end instead of an r... I ran into the same thing with a number of other words.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  It doesn't seem to be consistent.

      -Sygyrd

    • Michael Horgen
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2013

        Hi Sygyrd,

        The other words in the list ending in ur were pronounced correctly (the ones I looked at anyway). Perhaps she is reading a different form of the word and it has been incorrectly matched with this one.

        I'm presuming you have a pronunciation guide for Icelandic and are using that site to practise with.
        In some respects the (reconstructed) pronunciations for ON in the grammar books are easier to follow than using modern Icelandic when reading. But of course it is handy having living speakers too.

        All the best,
        Michael

        Sent from Yahoo!7 Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2013
          At 5:59:34 PM on Wednesday, October 2, 2013, Sygyrd
          Sygyrdson wrote:

          > So, I go to look up how to pronounce álfr / álfur at
          > http://www.forvo.com/languages-pronunciations/is/alphabetically/page-11/

          > and the lady there pronounces it with a "sh" sound at the
          > end instead of an r... I ran into the same thing with a
          > number of other words. Does anyone have any idea what is
          > going on here? It doesn't seem to be consistent.

          In that position Icelandic has a voiceless /r/. The actual
          realization varies. The man pronouncing <átakanlegur> has a
          very clear voiceless trill; the voiceless trill at the end
          of <atkvæðisbær> isn’t quite so clear, but it’s still very
          readily identifiable. If you listen closely to the woman
          pronouncing <Ásgrímur>, you can still hear the trill, but
          it’s beginning to blur into an ‘eshy’ hiss. The man
          pronouncing <allrar> has a similar realization, the the
          woman pronouncing <álfur> has lost the trilling altogether:
          all that remains is a fricative similar (but not identical)
          to English \sh\.

          Brian
        • Ruarigh Dale
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2013

            It sounds like an aspirated ‘r’ to me. Icelandic aspirates many consonants, so it is not too surprising to hear it there. Different people will do this to varying extents, so perhaps her pronunciation is extreme compared to the other samples on the site, which is why it sounds odd (I cannot confirm this because I did not listen to others).

            Hope this helps,

            So, I go to look up how to pronounce álfr / álfur at

            and the lady there pronounces it with a "sh" sound at the end instead of an r... I ran into the same thing with a number of other words.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  It doesn&apos;t seem to be consistent.

            -Sygyrd

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2013
              At 10:48:38 PM on Thursday, October 3, 2013, Michael Horgen
              wrote:

              > The other words in the list ending in ur were pronounced
              > correctly (the ones I looked at anyway). Perhaps she is
              > reading a different form of the word and it has been
              > incorrectly matched with this one.

              No. Apparently you didn’t read my answer to Sygyrd. She’s
              pronouncing <álfur>, and her pronunciation is within the
              range of normal variation, though it is well towards one end
              of that range.

              Brian
            • David Simecek
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2013
                I think it is just unvoiced "r" which is a normal thing in final position (and also before unvoiced consonants like for example in "erta")
                David

                To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com
                From: ruarigh@...
                Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 19:45:36 +0100
                Subject: RE: [norse_course] álfr

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2013

                  Thanks Brian,

                  I'd sent a reply earlier but it didn't appear until after your explanation. I haven't been around Icelandic speakers for a while, but will be listening for this pronunciation when I am.

                  I find these variations in language interesting.