Re: [norse_course] Re: Laxdaela Saga Selected Sentences - 72 end + 73 part 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2013
      At 12:44:06 PM on Thursday, August 22, 2013, rob13567 wrote:

      > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Scott"
      > <bm.brian@...> wrote:

      >> At 5:45:53 PM on Wednesday, August 21, 2013, rob13567
      >> wrote:

      >>> Síðan ríður Bolli suður til Borgarfjarðar….
      >>> Síðan ríður Bolli suður til …Hvítár….

      >> Hann ríður og ríður og ríður. Alltaf ríður Bolli suður!
      >> :-)

      > I was going to say maybe he's riding to Disneyworld, and I
      > see Modern Icelendic has "kannski," but I don't see that
      > or anything similar in Zoega.

      It’s not of fully native stock. It’s originally a compound;
      the first element is from the verb <kunna> in the sense 'be
      able to', and the second is a borrowing from a Middle Low
      German verb akin to German <geschehen> 'to happen'. CV has
      it in the form <kann-ske>, noting that it’s modern.

      > I do find, however, (Z. NEKKVERR B IV 2 - perhaps, may be;
      > vilt þú nökkut taka við fjárfari mínu?).

      CV, not Z. Baetke confirms the possibility, offering (II.2)
      the glosses 'etwa, vielleicht', with the examples <átt þú
      nǫkkut langskip> 'hast du vielleicht ein Langschiff' and
      <hvern hǫfðingja vili þér þar yfir setja, hvárt nǫkkut
      danskan> '... etwa einen dänischen'. But I think that
      there’s a more natural choice.

      > So would I say

      > Bolli ríður nökkut til Disneyworld.

      > Or something else?

      I’ve seen both of the following often enough to have
      remembered them:

      <má, at> 'it’s possible that'
      <má vera, at> 'it may be that'

      So how about:

      Má (vera), at Bolli ríðr til Disneyheims.