Re: Laxdaela Saga Selected Sentences - 72 end + 73 part 1

  • rob13567
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
      I was going to say maybe he's riding to Disneyworld, and I see Modern Icelendic has "kannski," but I don't see that or anything similar in Zoega. I do find, however, (Z. NEKKVERR B IV 2 - perhaps, may be; vilt þú nökkut taka við fjárfari mínu?). So would I say

      Bolli ríður nökkut til Disneyworld.

      Or something else?

      Rob

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2013
        At 12:44:06 PM on Thursday, August 22, 2013, rob13567 wrote:

        > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Scott"
        > <bm.brian@...> wrote:

        >> At 5:45:53 PM on Wednesday, August 21, 2013, rob13567
        >> wrote:

        >>> Síðan ríður Bolli suður til Borgarfjarðar….
        >>> Síðan ríður Bolli suður til …Hvítár….

        >> Hann ríður og ríður og ríður. Alltaf ríður Bolli suður!
        >> :-)

        > I was going to say maybe he's riding to Disneyworld, and I
        > see Modern Icelendic has "kannski," but I don't see that
        > or anything similar in Zoega.

        It’s not of fully native stock. It’s originally a compound;
        the first element is from the verb <kunna> in the sense 'be
        able to', and the second is a borrowing from a Middle Low
        German verb akin to German <geschehen> 'to happen'. CV has
        it in the form <kann-ske>, noting that it’s modern.

        > I do find, however, (Z. NEKKVERR B IV 2 - perhaps, may be;
        > vilt þú nökkut taka við fjárfari mínu?).

        CV, not Z. Baetke confirms the possibility, offering (II.2)
        the glosses 'etwa, vielleicht', with the examples <átt þú
        nǫkkut langskip> 'hast du vielleicht ein Langschiff' and
        <hvern hǫfðingja vili þér þar yfir setja, hvárt nǫkkut
        danskan> '... etwa einen dänischen'. But I think that
        there’s a more natural choice.

        > So would I say

        > Bolli ríður nökkut til Disneyworld.

        > Or something else?

        I’ve seen both of the following often enough to have
        remembered them:

        <má, at> 'it’s possible that'
        <má vera, at> 'it may be that'

        So how about:

        Má (vera), at Bolli ríðr til Disneyheims.