Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga Selected Sentences - 72 end + 73 part 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
      At 5:45:53 PM on Wednesday, August 21, 2013, rob13567 wrote:

      > Síðan ríður Bolli suður til Borgarfjarðar….
      > Síðan ríður Bolli suður til …Hvítár….

      Hann ríður og ríður og ríður. Alltaf ríður Bolli suður! :-)

      Brian
    • rob13567
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
        I was going to say maybe he's riding to Disneyworld, and I see Modern Icelendic has "kannski," but I don't see that or anything similar in Zoega. I do find, however, (Z. NEKKVERR B IV 2 - perhaps, may be; vilt þú nökkut taka við fjárfari mínu?). So would I say

        Bolli ríður nökkut til Disneyworld.

        Or something else?

        Rob

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 23, 2013
          At 12:44:06 PM on Thursday, August 22, 2013, rob13567 wrote:

          > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Scott"
          > <bm.brian@...> wrote:

          >> At 5:45:53 PM on Wednesday, August 21, 2013, rob13567
          >> wrote:

          >>> Síðan ríður Bolli suður til Borgarfjarðar….
          >>> Síðan ríður Bolli suður til …Hvítár….

          >> Hann ríður og ríður og ríður. Alltaf ríður Bolli suður!
          >> :-)

          > I was going to say maybe he's riding to Disneyworld, and I
          > see Modern Icelendic has "kannski," but I don't see that
          > or anything similar in Zoega.

          It’s not of fully native stock. It’s originally a compound;
          the first element is from the verb <kunna> in the sense 'be
          able to', and the second is a borrowing from a Middle Low
          German verb akin to German <geschehen> 'to happen'. CV has
          it in the form <kann-ske>, noting that it’s modern.

          > I do find, however, (Z. NEKKVERR B IV 2 - perhaps, may be;
          > vilt þú nökkut taka við fjárfari mínu?).

          CV, not Z. Baetke confirms the possibility, offering (II.2)
          the glosses 'etwa, vielleicht', with the examples <átt þú
          nǫkkut langskip> 'hast du vielleicht ein Langschiff' and
          <hvern hǫfðingja vili þér þar yfir setja, hvárt nǫkkut
          danskan> '... etwa einen dänischen'. But I think that
          there’s a more natural choice.

          > So would I say

          > Bolli ríður nökkut til Disneyworld.

          > Or something else?

          I’ve seen both of the following often enough to have
          remembered them:

          <má, at> 'it’s possible that'
          <má vera, at> 'it may be that'

          So how about:

          Má (vera), at Bolli ríðr til Disneyheims.