Re: [norse_course] Selected Sentences 70 part 30 Elliot´s transla tion

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2013
      At 2:53:04 AM on Tuesday, July 23, 2013,
      elliot.holland@... wrote:

      > •Var þar fjölmenni mikið og hið skörulegsta lið, ríða nú
      > leið sína og koma í Tungu. (Among other things, this
      > sentence uses the superlative form of an adjective.)

      > --Was there many-people (nom. neu) great/tall and the most
      > notable folk (n nom.), to ride now way (fem.) his and to
      > come in Tungu.

      > --There were many great people and the most notable folk
      > now get on their way (riding) and arrive in Tungu.

      <Mikið> actually modifies <fjölmenni>: 'a great multitude'
      instead of just 'a multitude', or 'a great crowd' instead of
      'a crowd'. In context I’m inclined to take <skörulegsta>
      here to be 'most magnificent' rather than 'most notable'.
      <Ríða> and <koma> are 3rd plur. pres. indic., not
      infinitives. Fairly literally, if not the most idiomatic

      A very great multitude was there, and the most magnificent
      company; [they] ride now their way and arrive at Tunga.

      The choice of locative preposition (<í>, <á>, etc.) with a
      place-name depends to a considerable extent on the type of
      terrain implied by the place-name. In general place-names
      denoting low land, firths, inlets, valleys, woods, nesses,
      etc. take <í>, but in such cases it usually shouldn’t be
      translated 'in'. Here 'arrive at' and 'come to' would both
      be fine.

      > •Snorri gaf Þorkatli gjafar sæmilegar og þeim Guðrúnu
      > báðum, slíkt sama öðrum sínum vinum og frændum.

      > --Snorri (nom) gave Thorkatli (dat.) gifts (acc. pl.)
      > honerable and to them (dat) Gudhrunu asked (for
      > something), such (neu) befit his other (masc.) friends
      > (pl. dat. mas. strong) and kinsmen (dat. pl. mas.).

      Here <báðum> is the dat. of <báðir> 'both' (all genders);
      it’s part of the dat. phrase <þeim Guðrúnu báðum> 'them
      both, Guðrún [and Þórkel]'. Constructions like <þeim
      Guðrúnu> (with or without <báðum>) naming one person but
      talking about more than one ('them') are quite common; you
      have to fill in the missing person(s) from context.

      <Slíkt> is the neuter of <slíkr> used as an adverb (Z3)
      meaning 'in such wise, so, in similar fashion'; <sama> is
      the adjective <samr> 'the same' in the masc. acc. plur.
      However, the phrase <slíkt sama> is simply 'similarly'.

      > --Snorri gave Thorkatli honorable gifts and asked them for
      > Gudhrunu, such as something that would befit his friends
      > and kinsmen.

      The nom. is <Þórkell>.

      Snorri gave them both, Þórkel and Guðrún, honorable gifts,
      [and] similarly] his other friends and kinsmen.

      By the way, ON <sœmiligr> is the source of English <seemly>.

      > •Um sumarið eftir kom skip af hafi í Hvítá.

      > --Around summer, after came (3rd. past.) ship from the sea
      > (dat.) in Hvita.

      > --During the summer after, the ship comes from the sea to
      > Hvita.

      <Um sumarið eftir> can be translated simply 'the next
      summer'. (Despite what the dictionaries say, <um> is not
      always to be translated 'during' in these expressions of
      time.) No ship has previously been mentioned, so it’s just
      'a ship'. <Hvítá> is the name of a river: <Hvít-á> 'White

      The next summer a ship came from the sea into the Hvítá
      [White River].

      > •Það skip átti hálft Þorleikur Bollason en hálft áttu
      > norrænir menn.

      > --That ship had half þorleikur Bollason, but half had
      > norwegian (acc. f. like heiða) men (acc.).

      > --Thorleikur Bollason had half the ship, but Norwegian men
      > had half.

      I’d use 'owned' rather than 'had'. I think that in this
      case <en> is simply narrative continuation, better
      translated 'and'.

      > •Og er Bolli spyr útkomu bróður síns ríður hann þegar
      > suður til Borgarfjarðar og til skips. (Note that "er" can
      > be something other than the verb "to be.")

      > --And when Bolli, asks comes out (cannot find in
      > dictionary. just guessing) of brother (ten mas.) of him
      > (ten) he rode at once southernly to Borgarjarði and to the
      > ship (ten).

      > --And when boll asks for his brother to come out, he at
      > once rode south to Borgarfjardhar and to the ship.

      This is <spyrja> Z4 'to hear, be informed of'. <Útkoma>
      'coming out to Iceland' is in Zoëga in a section of <út->
      compounds headed by <útjörð>.

      And when Bolli hears of his brother’s arrival in Iceland,
      immediately rides south to Borgarfjörð and [the] ship.

      (You probably know already, but I just approved your
      membership in Cybalist. I hope that it doesn’t turn out to
      be too disappointing: most of the really knowledgeable
      people no longer post, and there a few genuine cranks.)