Laxdaela Saga Selected Sentences for July 29, 2013

  • rob13567
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2013
      These sentences should be easier than last week's, but still it's worth your posting any questions on the forum before you post your translations on July 29.

      Also, I have used some partial sentences this time, indicating the omitted portions with ellipses; however, the segments for translating still express complete thoughts.

      Enjoy!

      Síðan ríða þeir báðir bræður vestur til Helgafells.

      Þorkell tekur við þeim með allri blíðu….

      Þorleikur dvelst að Helgafelli um hríð….

      Þorleikur… ríður síðan til Hvítár….

      Var hann nú að Helgafelli um veturinn en Bolli í Tungu. (Note the implied verb in the second part of this sentence.)

      Þá gekk Snorri á tal þeirra bræðra.

      Þeir fögnuðu honum vel….

      Hann tók vel kveðju þeirra.
    • elliot.holland@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2013
        Laxdæla Saga 80 part 1 selected sentences
        •Síðan ríða þeir báðir bræður vestur til Helgafells.
        --Then ride (pres. pl.) they (mas. nom) both (nom) brothers (pl. nom mas. like <faðir?>) to-the-west to Helgafell (gen from prep <til>)
        --They, both brothers, then ride westwardly to Helgafell.
        •Þorkell tekur við þeim með allri blíðu.
        --Thorkell receives them with all friendliness (fem. a, d. or g.)
        --Thorkell welcomes them with friendliness.
        •þorleikur dvelst að Helgafelli um hríð.
        --Thorleikur stays (refl) on Helgafell (dat) around storm.
        --Thorleikur stays at Helgafell during a storm.
        •Þorleikur…ríður síðan til Hvitár...
        Þorleikur rides then to Hvitár.
        •Var hann nú að Helgafelli um veturinn en Bolli í Tungu.
        --He was now at Helgafell (dat. no motion) in (the) winter and Bolla (was) in Tungu.
        •þa gekk Snorri á tal þeirra bræðra.
        --There goes Snorra to talk brothers (gen pl.).
        --Snorra goes there to talk to the brothers.
        •Þeir fögnuðu honum vel…
        --They greeted him (dat.) well.
        •Hann tók vel kveðju þeirra.
        --He took/recieved well their welcomes.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2013
          At 9:55:27 PM on Monday, July 29, 2013,
          elliot.holland@... wrote:

          > •Síðan ríða þeir báðir bræður vestur til Helgafells.

          > --Then ride (pres. pl.) they (mas. nom) both (nom)
          > brothers (pl. nom mas. like <faðir?>) to-the-west to
          > Helgafell (gen from prep <til>)

          Yes, <bróðir> inflects much like <faðir>: it has <bróður> in
          the singular oblique cases, just as <faðir> has <föður>, and
          the ON nom. plur. <brœðr>, like <feðr>, shows front
          mutation.

          > --They, both brothers, then ride westwardly to Helgafell.

          This is certainly not wrong, but I’d go for a less
          word-for-word translation: ‘Then both brothers ride west to
          Helgafell’, or more likely ‘Then the two brothers ride west
          to Helgafell’.

          > •Þorkell tekur við þeim með allri blíðu.

          > --Thorkell receives them with all friendliness (fem. a, d.
          > or g.)

          As you say, <blíðu> could be any of the sing. oblique cases,
          but <allri> can only be fem. dat. sing., so it must be
          dative. (Gen. is doubly excluded: <með> takes dat. or acc.)

          > --Thorkell welcomes them with friendliness.

          I would say ‘with great friendliness’ or the like, to
          account for the <allri>.

          > •þorleikur dvelst að Helgafelli um hríð.

          > --Thorleikur stays (refl) on Helgafell (dat) around storm.

          > --Thorleikur stays at Helgafell during a storm.

          This is <hríð> 'a while', Z3; Zoëga even has the phrase <um
          hríð> 'for a while'.

          > •Þorleikur …ríður síðan til Hvitár...

          > Þorleikur rides then to Hvitár.

          The nominative is <Hvítá>, so it’s ‘to Hvítá’ (or ‘to the
          White River’, if you choose to translate meaningful
          place-names).

          > •Var hann nú að Helgafelli um veturinn en Bolli í Tungu.

          > --He was now at Helgafell (dat. no motion) in (the) winter
          > and Bolla (was) in Tungu.

          No need for the first set of parentheses: <veturinn>
          includes the (postposed) definite article. This is another
          case in which <var> is probably better translated 'stayed'
          and <um> as 'during': ‘He stayed now at Helgafell during the
          winter, and Bolli at Tunga’. (Note the nominatives <Bolli>
          and <Tunga>.)

          > •þa gekk Snorri á tal þeirra bræðra.

          > --There goes Snorra to talk brothers (gen pl.).

          > --Snorra goes there to talk to the brothers.

          <Þá> here is 'then'. <Þeirra bræðra> is, as you say, gen.
          plur.; it modifies <tal>, so we have 'the brothers’
          conversation' or 'the conversation of the brothers'. Among
          the sense shown by Zoëga for <ganga á> is <ganga á e-t> 'to
          encroach upon', and the literal sense is something like 'to
          go to something'. This is somewhere between ‘Then Snorri
          butted in on the brothers’ conversation’ and ‘Then Snorri
          went to join the brothers’ conversation’. You lack the
          context to judge where on that scale it might fall, so the
          second version is safer. (In context there does seem to be
          some implication that he really wanted to know what they
          were talking about; I’ve the impression that the actual
          strength of the statement might be something like that of
          English ‘Then Snorri inserted himself into the brothers’
          conversation’.)

          > •Hann tók vel kveðju þeirra.

          > --He took/recieved well their welcomes.

          <Kveðju> is singular: 'their greeting/welcome'.