Additional Exercise for Learning Old Icelandic - Copy Sentences

  • rob13567
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2013
      Doing translations is an effective way to learn Old Icelandic. And here is an additional exercise you can do: Copy well-formed sentences written in Old Icelandic, especially sentences that have a good grasp of what they mean. Write them out on a piece of paper.

      I know this sounds too simple, but I heard about this technique from an expert in teaching reading, tried it myself, and found it useful.

      Rob
    • elliot.holland@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2013
        Thank you for the tip. I´ve been keeping a hand-written journal of sentences with Brian's corrections along with the text at the beginning of each chapter in Byock's textbook. I did something similar while learning German and it seemed to be one of the more helpful methods. I think something that I will add as a method is to copy the entries for the words that I translate, so that I can review them and hopefully retain more of the word.

        Elliot