Eyrbyggja Saga 29 part 3 - - Elliot's translation

  • elliot.holland@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2013
      I'll go ahead and post my Eyrbyggja saga. I didn't make it as far as I wanted to, but I'll give the first 5 lines, so that I can start working on Laxdaela Saga 69 part 1.

      •Eftir það tók Björn vopn sín og gekk í brott og ætlar heim.
      --After that(?) took (taka-take: 3 per. sing. past) Björn weapon (vápn: n. acc.) his/for himself (refl. gen.) and went (ganga-go: 3 per. sing. past) at away and intended (gram. ?) home (adv. like german heim)
      --After that, Björn took his weapon and went away and meaning to go home

      •En er hann kom upp um Digramúla hljópu upp fyrir honum fimm menn.
      --And when he came (koma-come: 3 per. sing. past) up around Digramúla (place name) jumped (hlaupa-jump: 2 per. pl. past) before him (dat.) five (gr. ?) men.
      --And when he came up around Digramúla, 5 men jumped in front of him.

      •Þar var Þóroddur,
      húskarlar hans tveir og synir Þóris viðleggs.
      --There was (vera-be: 3 per. sing. past) Þóroddur (person), farmhands (húskarl. mas. nom. pl.) his (gen.) two and sons ??.
      --There was Thóroddur, his two farmhands, and his sons, Thóris vidhleggs.

      •Þeir veittu Birni atgöngu en
      hann varðist vel og drengilega.
      --they (masc. nom) gave (veita-give: 3 per. pl. past.) --Birni (person? dat.) attack (atganga: f. acc?) and he defended (verja-defend gr?) well and bravely. (are adverbs declined?)

      •Gengu þeir fastast að Þórissynir.
      --went (ganga: pres. 3 pers. pl.) they (mas. nom.) firmly (?) to Thorissynir (place name)
      --They men went adv? to Thorissynir.

      brott-away
      ætla-intend/mean
      hljaupa-jump (hubschen cognate?)
      fyrir-before/infront of
      son-son pl. nom: synir
      húskarl-farmhand/servant
    • rob13567
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 2013
        Glad to have you joining the tranlation!

        One trick that I used (and in fact still use) is to work on the translation before it is posted, if that's helpful for you. For example, I work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to do the tranlation of the text that Grace will post on Monday. Sometimes, I don't guess completely accurately how much there is to do, so I may have an extra sentence or two to translate on Monday, but it's nice to spread the work over more days.

        I think it's fine, too, for you to do a few lines rather than the whole text.

        Rob

      • elliot.holland@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2013
          I was actually thinking about trying to do this. As my busiest part of the week is from Monday though Wednesday, I would like to work on the translations over the weekend. If I may ask, where do you get the texts that will be posted? Even if they're not already divided into parts, I would like to have a copy that is in a good web-format, if you know what I mean.

          Also, Thank you for your help. I'm still struggling quite a bit with the texts, as it took me almost an hour per sentence for the Eyrbyggja Saga 29, but I think i'm getting more confidant with finding cognates between ON, German, and English. So I will probably only be doing a few lines for at least another few weeks.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 2013
            At 10:31:37 PM on Wednesday, June 26, 2013,
            elliot.holland@... wrote:

            > If I may ask, where do you get the texts that will be
            > posted? Even if they're not already divided into parts, I
            > would like to have a copy that is in a good web-format, if
            > you know what I mean.

            You can find Eyrbyggja saga at

            <http://www.snerpa.is/net/isl/eyrbygg.htm>;

            this version uses modern Icelandic spelling rather than any
            of the traditional normalized Old Norse spellings, but I
            think that it’s the one that Grace has been using as source.
            Three late 19th century editions are freely available from
            Google Books:

            <http://books.google.com/books?id=qWcJAAAAQAAJ>
            <http://books.google.com/books?id=MAwPAAAAQAAJ>
            <http://books.google.com/books?id=hMAXAAAAYAAJ>

            These are also available at <archive.org>.

            The first shows variant readings from different mss; the
            second has no footnotes but does use probably the most
            familiar normalization; and the third has a lot of
            explanatory footnotes (in German).

            You can find Laxdæla saga at

            <http://www.snerpa.is/net/isl/laxdal.htm>,

            again in modern Icelandic spelling, and again I think the
            version from which Grace is taking the assignments. Google
            books has at least two editions in more traditional ON
            normalized spellings:

            <http://books.google.com/books?id=4xAYAAAAYAAJ>
            <http://books.google.com/books?id=UEMRAQAAMAAJ>

            The first has variants, and the second has copious
            explanatory footnotes in German. At least the second is
            also available at <archive.org>.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2013
              At 3:26:28 PM on Monday, June 24, 2013,
              elliot.holland@... wrote:

              > I'll go ahead and post my Eyrbyggja saga. I didn't make it
              > as far as I wanted to, but I'll give the first 5 lines, so
              > that I can start working on Laxdaela Saga 69 part 1.

              > •Eftir það tók Björn vopn sín og gekk í brott og ætlar
              > heim.

              > --After that(?) took (taka-take: 3 per. sing. past) Björn
              > weapon (vápn: n. acc.) his/for himself (refl. gen.) and
              > went (ganga-go: 3 per. sing. past) at away and intended
              > (gram. ?) home (adv. like german heim)

              > --After that, Björn took his weapon and went away and
              > meaning to go home

              <Ætlar> is 3rd sing. pres. indic., 'intends'. There is an
              understood <fara> or <ganga> in the last clause: <og ætlar
              heim ganga> 'and intends to go home'. This is a fairly
              common kind of omission; it’s briefly discussed in §3.9.5.3
              of Barnes.

              > •En er hann kom upp um Digramúla hljópu upp fyrir honum
              > fimm menn.

              > --And when he came (koma-come: 3 per. sing. past) up
              > around Digramúla (place name) jumped (hlaupa-jump: 2 per.
              > pl. past) before him (dat.) five (gr. ?) men.

              > --And when he came up around Digramúla, 5 men jumped in
              > front of him.

              The basic sense of <en> is adversative, 'but', though in
              connected prose it’s often just a signal of narrative
              continuation and in those cases is usually best translated
              'and'. Here either alternative is defensible; I chose
              'but'. Prepositions are frequently a pain, and <um> is no
              exception. The likeliest meanings in this kind of context
              are 'around', 'along', and 'over'; a <múli> is a projecting
              ‘nose’ of mountain, so any of these could make sense, but in
              view of <upp> I went with 'over'.

              > •Þar var Þóroddur, húskarlar hans tveir og synir Þóris
              > viðleggs.

              > --There was (vera-be: 3 per. sing. past) Þóroddur
              > (person), farmhands (húskarl. mas. nom. pl.) his (gen.)
              > two and sons ??.

              > --There was Thóroddur, his two farmhands, and his sons,
              > Thóris vidhleggs.

              <Þóris viðleggs> is a genitive, so it cannot be in
              apposition to the nominative <synir>, and in any case it’s a
              single name, not the name of several sons. In fact it
              modifies <synir>: 'and Þórir viðlegg’s sons'. The byname
              <viðleggr> (nom.), or in modern spelling <viðleggur>, is
              'wood(en)-leg'; we’d already met Þórir at this point.

              > •Þeir veittu Birni atgöngu en hann varðist vel og
              > drengilega.

              > --they (masc. nom) gave (veita-give: 3 per. pl. past.)
              > Birni (person? dat.) attack (atganga: f. acc?) and he
              > defended (verja-defend gr?) well and bravely. (are adverbs
              > declined?)

              <Birni> is the dative of the man’s name <Björn>. Adverbs
              have comparative and superlative forms but are not
              inflected. <Varðist> is 3rd sing. past of what Barnes calls
              the sk-form of the verb, otherwise known as the reflexive,
              reciprocal, or middle form. Zoëga calls it the reflexive
              (refl.) and has (5) <verjast> 'to defend oneself'.

              > •Gengu þeir fastast að Þórissynir.

              > --went (ganga: pres. 3 pers. pl.) they (mas. nom.) firmly
              > (?) to Thorissynir (place name)

              > --They men went adv? to Thorissynir.

              The word order of this sentence is confusing. <Þórissynir>
              is nominative; it simply expands on and clarifies <þeir>.
              The subject, then, is <þeir Þórissynir> 'they, [the] sons of
              Þórir'. The verb is best thought of as a separated
              compound, <ganga að> 'to attack'; you’ll find that Old Norse
              has quite a few of these verbs. They don’t behave quite
              like German separable verbs, but I think that you’ll find
              that a helpful way to think about them. Zoëga and CV both
              classify them as verb + preposition, but sometimes that
              'preposition' has no object and behaves like an adverb or
              even simply modifies the basic meaning of the verb.

              Note that <ganga at e-m> 'to attack someone (dat.)' does
              appear in Zoëga’s entry for <ganga>, in section (15).

              > hljaupa-jump (hubschen cognate?)

              That should be <hlaupa>. No, it’s a cognate of English
              <leap> (from Old English <hlēapan>) and German <laufen>.

              Brian
            • rob13567
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2013
                In addition to what Brian wrote, you can also find the sagas in the Icelandic Saga database, and here are the two links:

                http://sagadb.org/eyrbyggja_saga
                http://sagadb.org/laxdaela_saga

                I will add a couple of possibilities for study. One is to stick with just the Laxdaela Saga, since that is posted on Mondays, and you can do the work over the weekend.

                Another is that you start with selected sentences from the text rather than the necessarily the ones at the beginning. The reason is that you will learn more by translating sentences that are just above your level of expertise. So, there is not going to be as much payback in working with a long, obtuse sentence if you are a beginner. If you wanted, I could even pick some sentences from the upcoming passage that I judge to be more suited pedagogically for translating for people who are newer to Old Icelandic.

                As you get better, you can expand to working with both texts and working with them in their entirety, but you need to make sure that the frustration level doesn't get too high. And with Old Icelandic, the frustration level will always be there, and to succeed you have to find a way to manage it. My opinions, at least!

                Rob

              • elliot.holland@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2013
                  Thank you. I've been using sagadb.org, so far.

                  I'll definitely try to do the translations from Landaela Saga over the weekends (I'm working on the second half of 69 right now), although it would be nice to know which sentences are more helpful. Right now, from doing the translations, I'm not getting much. You might be able to see my thought process from this sentence.

                  "Lagðist og mjög ómjúkt á með þeim Arnkatli feðgum.
                  --lays (himself, reflex) (leggja, legg, lagða, lagiðr, laginn) and very ómjúkt (noun?) in with them (dat. sing. mas.) Arnkatli (name dat.) father and son (mas. dat. pl.)
                  --(it) lays/puts much ómjúkt with them, Arnkatli, father and son."

                  Obviously I am missing something crucial to be able to translate such sentences, I think it will come with the practice of fairly standard sentences, although I think I can pick them, but thank you for the offer.

                  As for the frustration, it's definitely there while translating, but feel very comfortable using the Byock textbook. It's helping a lot and I am confidant I will be much better when through it. I'm trying to get through as quickly as possible.

                  I will start regularly posting my translations with the next one.
                  Thank all of you for your patience with a beginner.

                  Elliot

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2013
                    At 5:28:46 AM on Sunday, June 30, 2013,
                    elliot.holland@... wrote:

                    > You might be able to see my thought process from this
                    > sentence.

                    > "Lagðist og mjög ómjúkt á með þeim Arnkatli feðgum.

                    > --lays (himself, reflex) (leggja, legg, lagða, lagiðr,
                    > laginn) and very ómjúkt (noun?) in with them (dat. sing.
                    > mas.) Arnkatli (name dat.) father and son (mas. dat. pl.)

                    > --(it) lays/puts much ómjúkt with them, Arnkatli, father
                    > and son."

                    Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that a so-called
                    reflexive form is necessarily reflexive in meaning. It can
                    be, but it can also be reciprocal or passive, or simply
                    change the meaning of the verb. Here it’s even worse: the
                    verb is actually <leggjast á> 'to arise', which you’ll find
                    in Zoëga s.v. <leggja> (15). I don’t think that one would
                    be likely to guess that meaning, but one can sort of see how
                    it might have arisen as an extension of 'to lay itself on',
                    the more or less literal sense of the phrase.

                    <Og> can be 'also' (like German <auch>) as well as 'and'.
                    Its placement here is a fairly good indication that it’s
                    'also': if it were 'and', it would probably be the first
                    word.

                    The negative prefix can be <ó-> or <ú->; in the modern
                    language it’s the former, but in Zoëga and CV it’s <ú->.
                    This <ómjúkt> will be found in Zoëga as the adjective
                    <úmjúkr> 'harsh' (literally 'un-soft'). <Ómjúkt> is the
                    neuter nominative singular, and as you suspected, it is
                    functioning here as a noun, 'harshness'. <Með> is often
                    more appropriately read as 'between' or 'among' than as
                    'with'; here it’s 'between'.

                    Much harshness also arose between Arnkell and his father.

                    Brian
                  • rob13567
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2013
                      Yes, it takes definitely takes time. I will post examples of sentences that I judge to be more useful for a beginner (simpler structure, higher frequency vocabulary, etc.). In other words, the ones that I can work with. :)