Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 69 part 1 -- Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2013
      > Þetta haust hafði Gunnar Þiðrandabani verið sendur Guðrúnu
      > til trausts og halds.

      > This fall Gunnar Thidrandabani had been sent to Gudrun for
      > help and support.

      > That fall Gunnar bane of Thidrand had been sent to Gudrun
      > for support and help.

      > This autumn Gunnarr Þiðrandabani (Þiðrandi’s-slayer) had
      > been sent to Guðrún for help and support (in need, his or
      > hers?).

      His, I think, given his situation and the way that she
      protects him.

      > Fór hann mjög huldu höfði því að margir stórir menn veittu
      > þar eftirsjár.

      > He went about much (with his) head hidden because many
      > important men were looking after (him) there.

      > He went (with his) head very disguised because many
      > important men paid attention there.

      > He travelled (ie got around) much by means of (ie with the
      > aid of) a covering for his head because many great
      > (powerful) persons (men) gave attention there(-to) (ie
      > were out to get him).

      I don’t think that the dative of respect here (<huldu
      höfði>) can be interpreted as an instrumental dative ('by
      means of, with the aid of'); it simply describes the manner
      in which he travelled.

      > Hið fyrsta kveld veislunnar er menn gengu til vatns stóð
      > þar maður mikill hjá vatninu.

      > The first evening of the banquet when men went to water, a
      > large man stood there next to the water.

      > The first evening of the wedding feast when people went to
      > the water, a big man stood there near the water.

      > On the first evening of the-feast when people went to
      > water (lake, the bathing-spot?), a tall man stood there by
      > the-water.

      A place where they could wash, I think, but one would
      probably have to know the local topography to say whether it
      was a stream, a pond, or a lake.

      > Sá nefndist svo sem honum sýndist.

      > That one gave his name so as appeared to him.

      > That one named himself just as seemed to him.

      > That-one gave-a-name-for himself such as seemed
      > appropriate to him (ie probably not his real name)

      ‘He named himself as he pleased/saw fit.’ I take this to
      mean that he gave whatever name he felt like giving, or
      whatever came to mind.

      > Eða hvað hefir þú mér hugað að heldur?"

      > What do have you rather intended for me?"

      > Rather what have you in mind for me?

      > So what have you thought-out (ie devised, intended) for me
      > all-the-more (for now knowing who I am)?”

      I’m by no means certain, but I’m inclined to put <að> with
      <huga> rather than with <heldur>: ‘So what, rather, have you
      considered for me?’

      > En Guðrún sat innar á þverpalli og þar konur hjá henni og
      > höfðu lín á höfði.

      > And Gudrun sat more inside the cross dais and there a
      > woman next to her also had linen on her head.

      > But Gudrun sat inside on the cross dais and women near her
      > there and had linen on (her) head.

      > But Guðrún sat further-in on the cross-dais and there
      > women (plural) alongside her and (they) had (wore, höfðu
      > is plural) linen on (their) head(s).

      This apparently refers to their being gussied up for the
      wedding.

      > En þegar hún verður vör við stígur hún af brúðbekkinum og
      > heitir á sína menn að veita Gunnari lið.

      > And at once she becomes aware of a path she (goes) from
      > the bride's bench and calls to her men to help Gunnar's
      > troops.

      > And as soon as she became aware (of what happened) she
      > steps off the bride’s bench and calls on her men to give
      > Gunnar help.

      > But (And) as-soon-as she becomes aware (varr) of (this)
      > she steps (stíga) (does this mean that the water was quite
      > close to the house and Guðrún had witnessed these events
      > or that the events at the water had been conveyed back to
      > Guðrún?) from the-bride’s-bench and calls on (exhorts) her
      > people (men) to give support to Gunnarr (dative).

      It must be fairly close, but it seems to me a bit unlikely
      that she could actually see what was going on.

      > Snorri mælti: "Miklu er þér meiri vandi á að gera eftir
      > vorum vilja.

      > Snorri said: "It is much more difficult to you to do later
      > our wishes.

      > Snorri spoke, “More great are customs? to behave in
      > accordance with our wishes.

      > Snorri spoke: “(The) obligation (vandi, Z3) is by-far
      > greater for you to act according to (eptir) our wish.

      Rob, Grace: Think of it as <Miklu meiri er vandi á þér>
      'Much more is [the] obligation on you'.