For beginners

  • Fred & Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013
      Hi Eliot,
      I think it would be great if you posted mysterious words that you can't find
      in the dictionary because of the endings due to declensions, etc. I have
      not managed to memorize the declensions - as is probably obvious. It would
      help me, I think, to try to figure out what the nominative case or the verb
      itself would be if you posted your fishy ones.

      I have a good background in German - having lived there 9 years and having
      attended the (now) Darmstadt University (then TH Darmstadt) as a German Lit.
      major - so that helped a lot. I started with the online yahoogroup course
      and a new paperback copy (available from Amazon) of the Zoega dictionary -
      which has a couple of strips of duct tape to hold it together - plus I have
      Gordon's Introduction to Old Norse which I used a lot at first, but rarely
      look at now.

      At first it took almost an hour to look up nearly every word. Now it's more
      like 15- 20 minutes - - although clearly I could put more time into it. I
      go thru and underline the words I am not sure of, try to find them first in
      Zoega, but turn to the online Cleasby Zigfusson if I can't find them.

      Grace

      Fred & Grace Hatton
      Hawley, Pa.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013
        At 8:52:00 AM on Saturday, June 22, 2013, Fred & Grace Hatton wrote:

        > I have a good background in German - having lived there 9
        > years and having attended the (now) Darmstadt University
        > (then TH Darmstadt) as a German Lit. major - so that
        > helped a lot.

        In that case you might to know that at

        <http://emedien.ub.uni-greifswald.de/ebooks/altnord-wb/baetke_digital.pdf>

        you can fill out a very brief form with your address and
        e-mail, confirm ‘dass Sie die heruntergeladene Datei nicht
        an Dritte weitergeben’, and freely download a 77 MB complete
        digital facsimile of the first edition (1965-8) of Walter
        Baetke’s _Wörterbuch zur altnordischen Prosaliteratur_. I
        only just found it, and I already like it. For instance, it
        has an entry for <fyrirboðsmenn>, which we did not find in
        any of the usual dictionaries:

        *fyrir-boðsmenn* m.pl. vom Hausherrn (zu e. Hochzeit od.
        e. Gelage) besonders geladene (u. vor dem Hauptgast
        anwesende (Gäste)

        Brian
      • elliot.holland@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013
          Grace,

          Right now, I'm slowly, but surely working my way through Eyrbyggja Saga, 29 part 3, and am, of course, running in to many of these words. I'll post my attempted translation, complete or incomplete, whenever the next text is posted. In my translation, I've included grammar notes for myself, including some words whose grammars I cannot figure out.

          My main problem now is that I cannot read the grammatical information in either Zoëga's or Cleasly/Vigfusson, that are contained with each entry. For example, how can I understand case endings or verb tenses from what stands in the entry? Normally, I would search for this information in an "How to Use this Dictionary" or "abbreviations" section, but I cannot find one in either dictionary. For example, some adjectives have e-m written near the word. I'm not sure what information this should give.

          Elliot

          --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Fred & Grace Hatton" <hatton@...> wrote:

          > Hi Eliot,
          > I think it would be great if you posted mysterious words that you can't find
          > in the dictionary because of the endings due to declensions, etc. I have
          > not managed to memorize the declensions - as is probably obvious. It would
          > help me, I think, to try to figure out what the nominative case or the verb
          > itself would be if you posted your fishy ones.
          >
          > I have a good background in German - having lived there 9 years and having
          > attended the (now) Darmstadt University (then TH Darmstadt) as a German Lit.
          > major - so that helped a lot. I started with the online yahoogroup course
          > and a new paperback copy (available from Amazon) of the Zoega dictionary -
          > which has a couple of strips of duct tape to hold it together - plus I have
          > Gordon's Introduction to Old Norse which I used a lot at first, but rarely
          > look at now.
          >
          > At first it took almost an hour to look up nearly every word. Now it's more
          > like 15- 20 minutes - - although clearly I could put more time into it. I
          > go thru and underline the words I am not sure of, try to find them first in
          > Zoega, but turn to the online Cleasby Zigfusson if I can't find them.
          >
          > Grace
          >
          > Fred & Grace Hatton
          > Hawley, Pa.

        • Paul David Hansen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013
            Thanks, Brian.

            At 8:52:00 AM on Saturday, June 22, 2013, Fred & Grace Hatton wrote:

            > I have a good background in German - having lived there 9 years and
            > having attended the (now) Darmstadt University (then TH Darmstadt) as
            > a German Lit. major - so that helped a lot.

            In that case you might to know that at

            <http://emedien.ub.uni-greifswald.de/ebooks/altnord-wb/baetke_digital.pdf>

            you can fill out a very brief form with your address and e-mail, confirm
            ‘dass Sie die heruntergeladene Datei nicht an Dritte weitergeben’, and
            freely download a 77 MB complete digital facsimile of the first edition
            (1965-8) of Walter Baetke’s _Wörterbuch zur altnordischen Prosaliteratur_.
            I only just found it, and I already like it. For instance, it has an entry
            for <fyrirboðsmenn>, which we did not find in any of the usual dictionaries:

            *fyrir-boðsmenn* m.pl. vom Hausherrn (zu e. Hochzeit od.
            e. Gelage) besonders geladene (u. vor dem Hauptgast
            anwesende (Gäste)

          • Richard Gould
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 26, 2013
              Here's a good reference for some common abbreviations I've seen across
              multiple books, which includes most of the
              confusing-unless-you-know-icelandic e-* abbreviations:

              http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/IcelOnline/IcelOnline.TEId-idx?type=HTML&rgn=DIV1&id=IcelOnline.IEOrd&target=IcelOnline.IEOrd.AbbrSym

              Cheers,

              Richard

              On 22 June 2013 13:59, elliot.holland@...
              <elliot.holland@...> wrote:
              > Grace,
              >
              > Right now, I'm slowly, but surely working my way through Eyrbyggja Saga, 29 part 3, and am, of course, running in to many of these words. I'll post my attempted translation, complete or incomplete, whenever the next text is posted. In my translation, I've included grammar notes for myself, including some words whose grammars I cannot figure out.
              >
              > My main problem now is that I cannot read the grammatical information in either Zoëga's or Cleasly/Vigfusson, that are contained with each entry. For example, how can I understand case endings or verb tenses from what stands in the entry? Normally, I would search for this information in an "How to Use this Dictionary" or "abbreviations" section, but I cannot find one in either dictionary. For example, some adjectives have e-m written near the word. I'm not sure what information this should give.
              >
              > Elliot
              >
              > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Fred & Grace Hatton" <hatton@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi Eliot,
              >> I think it would be great if you posted mysterious words that you can't find
              >> in the dictionary because of the endings due to declensions, etc. I have
              >> not managed to memorize the declensions - as is probably obvious. It would
              >> help me, I think, to try to figure out what the nominative case or the verb
              >> itself would be if you posted your fishy ones.
              >>
              >> I have a good background in German - having lived there 9 years and having
              >> attended the (now) Darmstadt University (then TH Darmstadt) as a German Lit.
              >> major - so that helped a lot. I started with the online yahoogroup course
              >> and a new paperback copy (available from Amazon) of the Zoega dictionary -
              >> which has a couple of strips of duct tape to hold it together - plus I have
              >> Gordon's Introduction to Old Norse which I used a lot at first, but rarely
              >> look at now.
              >>
              >> At first it took almost an hour to look up nearly every word. Now it's more
              >> like 15- 20 minutes - - although clearly I could put more time into it. I
              >> go thru and underline the words I am not sure of, try to find them first in
              >> Zoega, but turn to the online Cleasby Zigfusson if I can't find them.
              >>
              >> Grace
              >>
              >> Fred & Grace Hatton
              >> Hawley, Pa.

            • Paul David Hansen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 26, 2013

                e-m = einhverjum

                That is, a generic noun in the dative case.