Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 68 part 3 -- Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2013
      > Eftir það lét Snorri kalla þangað sonu Guðrúnar, hefir þá
      > uppi við þá málið og tjár hversu mikill styrkur þeim mætti
      > verða að Þorkatli fyrir sakir fjárafla hans og forsjá og
      > taldi þar um mjúklega.

      > After that Snorri caused to call there Gudrun's sons,
      > takes up then talking and tells how greatly strong they
      > can become to Thorkatl for the sake of his property and
      > foresaw and said there about gently.

      > After it Snorri had Gudrun’s sons called thither raises
      > the issue then with them and shows how much strength could
      > befall them on account of Thorkell’s property and
      > foresight and recounted about (it) there mildly?

      > After that Snorri caused to call thither (the) sons of
      > Guðrún, heaves up (ie raises) then the-matter (or simply
      > starts the talk?) with them and demonstrates how great
      > (adj) strength (power, influence, noun) (styrkr, Z4) could
      > befall them (verða e-m, Z2) on-account-of Þorkell because
      > of (by reason of, sök, Z4) his property and foresight and
      > (he) enumerated there-about (about that) nimbly.

      uppi málit> to be parallel to <hafa uppi rœður> 'to begin a
      discussion', so I make it ‘and opens the discussion’ or ‘and
      broaches the matter’.

      > Þá svarar Bolli: "Móðir mín mun þetta glöggvast sjá kunna.

      > Then Bolli answers: "My mother will most clearly
      > (glöggvast is related to gløggr?) know that.

      > Then Bolli answers, “My mother will be able to see most
      > clearly.

      > Then Bolli answers: “My mother will most-clearly
      > (superlative of glöggr) be-able to (kunna) see (sjá) this
      > (þetta).

      Rob: The *w of the Proto-Germanic stems of so-called wa- and
      wō-stem adjectives shows up as <v> before inflectional
      endings that begin with <a> or <i> and disappears otherwise;
      this is noted in Gordon, §100, and in Barnes,
      Examples are <gløggr>, <fǫlr>, and <hár> 'high'.

      > Vil eg hér um hennar vilja samþykkja.
      > Here I want to consent concerning her wish.
      > I wish here regarding her wishes to be of one mind.
      > I want here-about (about this) to consent to her wish.

      Rob: Think of it as <Ek vil samþykkja hennar vilja hér um>
      'I want to consent to her wish about this'; the object of
      <um>, if one can properly call it that, is <hér>, literally
      'here' but functionally 'this', not <henner vilja>.

      > Þá mælti Guðrún: "Mjög munum vér hlíta forsjá Snorra um
      > þetta mál því að oss hafa þín ráð heil verið."

      > Then Gudrun said: "We will much trust Snorri's foresight
      > concerning this matter because your advice has been sound
      > to us."

      > Then Gudrun spoke, “We will trust Snorri much regarding
      > this case because for us your advice has been beneficial.”

      > Then Guðrún spoke: “We will greatly trust Snorri’s
      > foresight concerning this matter because your counsels
      > (note: plural) to us have been sound.”

      And what gives away the fact that <ráð> is plural is the
      finite verb <hafa>: if this <ráð> were singular, the verb
      would be singular <hefir>.

      > Snorri fýsti í hverju orði og réðst það af að ráðahagur
      > skyldi takast með þeim Guðrúnu og Þorkatli.

      > Snorri urged in each report and advised that of that a
      > marriage should take place between them, Gudrun and
      > Thorkatl.

      > Snorri urged in each word and it turned out from (that)
      > that a marriage should take place between them, Gudrun and
      > Thorkell.

      > Snorri urged in (with) every word and that was-resolved
      > (settled, ráðast af) that (the) marriage) should
      > take-place between them Guðrún and Þorkell.

      In <En þat rézk af, at Sturla skyldi ...> and <Þat rézk af,
      at bíða þess er Hrafn kæmi til> the verb <ráðask af> clearly
      has the sense 'to turn out', so I’m inclined to go with that
      sense here, rather than the slightly stronger 'be settled'.

      > Vex mér ekki það fyrir augum að hafa hér kostnað fyrir.

      > It didn't increase to me before eyes to have cost before
      > here. (could this apply even though it uses "í" rather
      > than "fyrir"? Z. auga 1 - e-m vex e-t í augu, one has
      > scruples about)

      Yes: ‘it does not grow big in my eyes’ and ‘it does not grow
      big before my eyes’ are similar metaphors for ‘it does not
      become a matter of great concern for me’.

      > I have no scruples about having the expense here for (it).

      > That grows not before my eyes to have the expense for (it)
      > here. (ie I don´t mind paying).

      > Guðrún hefir mikinn viðurbúnað og tilöflun.

      > Gudrun has much preparation and providing of supplies.

      > Gudrun has much (to do) to ready herself and (lay in) a
      > supply of stores.

      > Guðrún raises (commences) a great self-preparation
      > (applying her make-up J) and provision-of-supplies.

      Like Rob and Grace, I take <hefir> to be from <hafa>, not
      <hefja>, and to have more or less its usual sense: ‘Guðrún
      has a great preparation and provision of supplies’, where we
      would use ‘makes’.

      > Guðrún hafði nær hundrað fyrirboðsmanna.

      > Gudrun had almost 100 wedding guests (interestingly, I
      > don't find "fyrirboðsmanna" "or "fyrirboðsmaðr" in Z. or
      > CV. I do see "boðsmaðr - guest at a feast. Not sure how
      > much the prefix "fyrir" changes the meaning).

      > Gudrun had nearly a hundred people invited to the feast.

      > Guðrún had nearly a hundred pre-invited (or early
      > arriving?)-feast-guests (CV has “a bidder to a feast”
      > whatever that means).

      My other edition glosses <fyrirboðsmenn> 'im Voraus
      eingeladene Leute', i.e., 'people invited in advance'.