New, to everything

  • elliot.holland@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2013
      Hi. I'm Elliot. And I've recently started independently studying Old Norse from Oklahoma, USA. So I'm new to Old Norse, and right now, I'm trying to figure out the complex grammar of Old Norse. I'm having some difficulty, but with the help of the online course material at utexas.edu, and A New Introduction to Old Norse, I am slowly progressing.

      I'm also new to Yahoo Groups, and am not quite sure how the webpage works.

      I'm asking for help regarding how I can use this group as a resource, or if I am welcome to use this group at all. As I understand now, It's mostly being used to post translations of Old Norse texts, but I see some places, such as the polls, that lead me to believe that course material is somewhere to be found. If someone could please point me in the direction of it, that would be great.

      Hopefully someone will see how lost I am with this group and point me towards making this a useful resource.

      Thank you,
      Elliot
    • Lucas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
        This would perhaps be a better resource for you than "A New Introduction to Old Norse"--it's set up in a much easier manner. Although rereading the New Introduction would cement everything in after finishing "Viking Language."

        http://www.vikingnorse.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
          At 2:03:49 AM on Wednesday, June 19, 2013,
          elliot.holland@... wrote:

          > Hi. I'm Elliot. And I've recently started independently
          > studying Old Norse from Oklahoma, USA. So I'm new to Old
          > Norse, and right now, I'm trying to figure out the complex
          > grammar of Old Norse. I'm having some difficulty, but with
          > the help of the online course material at utexas.edu, and
          > A New Introduction to Old Norse, I am slowly progressing.

          > I'm also new to Yahoo Groups, and am not quite sure how
          > the webpage works.

          > I'm asking for help regarding how I can use this group
          > as a resource, or if I am welcome to use this group at
          > all.

          You’re certainly welcome in the group. As you’ve seen, it’s
          not very lively these days, and most of the most
          knowledgeable folks are no longer around, but I’m happy to
          try to answer questions.

          We’re actually in sight of the end of Laxdæla saga.
          Assuming that we start on something else when we finish, you
          might consider trying to join in: it’s a bit daunting at
          first and probably feels a bit like learning to swim in the
          deep end of the pool, but it’s really very effective, and it
          has the great virtue of providing constant feedback.

          > As I understand now, It's mostly being used to post
          > translations of Old Norse texts, but I see some places,
          > such as the polls, that lead me to believe that course
          > material is somewhere to be found. If someone could please
          > point me in the direction of it, that would be great.

          The Files section, accessible from the links near the top of
          the lefthand side of the web page, contains a set of six
          short but rather good lessons aimed at native speakers of
          English. They’re definitely worth a look: I’m not the best
          judge, since I have a fairly strong linguistics background,
          but I’d say that they’re noticeably more accessible than
          either the Texas course or Barnes, and despite their
          brevity, they cover a lot of ground.

          It also contains a PDF of Zoëga’s dictionary and errata
          thereto. There is a nicely webbed online version of Zoëga
          at <http://norse.ulver.com/dct/zoega/index.html>. You can
          find an online version of the larger dictionary by Cleasby and
          Vigfusson, from which Zoëga produced his dictionay, at
          <http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/texts/oi_cleasbyvigfusson_about.html>.
          It’s a bit more comprehensive and has more citations, though
          the arrangement of the various senses of a word is sometimes
          a bit less convenient than Zoëga’s.

          If you read German or one of the Continental Scandinavian
          languages, other resources are available.

          Brian
        • elliot.holland@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
            Thank you for your response.

            I appreciate the invitation to try to join in with the new text. I may try with some of the current texts, to get practice for the next one, so that I can understand the whole text from beginning to end. I will probably try to translate only the first part of each text until I can recognize common vocabulary (and make translations a lot faster)

            Is there any common text between you, such as dictionaries or grammars? If not, is there a particularly dictionary that you would suggest? So far, I've used Barnes' Glossary trying to "un-decline" the words. When a word is not available there, I search in Zoëga and if all else fails, turn to Vigfusson, this works well, but if there is another dictionary, perhaps only in print, I can try to buy a copy online.

            I've taken a look through the 'Files' section and have started reading through the course there, although I prefer the UTexas course, as I have light experience with germanic grammatical jargon. Thank you again for allowing me to read through these texts with you.

            Elliot

          • elliot.holland@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
              Great. Thank you for the suggestion.

              I've come across the textbooks before, but didn't know if I should check out others, but now that you've suggested them, I've ordered them online. They should be here in 5 days.

              Elliot