Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 65 part 3 -- Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , May 14 4:03 PM
      > Þorgils kvað hana muna mundu.
      > Thorgils said she would remember.
      > Thorgils said of her (she?) would remember.
      > Þorgils declared she would remember.

      Here I think that <mundu> is 'must': ‘Þorgils said that she
      must remember’. (<Mundu> is the past infinitive, here in
      the usual acc. + inf. construction after <kvað>, in case
      anyone was wondering about the form.)

      > Eða viltu nokkuð mæla í móti þessu?"

      > Do you want to say something against this?"

      > Or do you want to say anything against this?”

      > But do you want in-some-degree to speak against (gainsay,
      > contradict) this?’

      I agree with Rob and Grace that <nokkuð> here is pronominal,
      not adverbial; I’d go with ‘anything’.