Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 64 end + 65 part 1 -- Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2013
      > Bolli hleypur til er hann sá þetta og bað eigi veita
      > Harðbeini skaða: "Skal hér engi maður vinna klækisverk og
      > skal Harðbeini grið gefa."

      > Bolli moves to where he saw this and asked to give no harm
      > to Hardeinn: "Here no man shall do base work and shall
      > give quarter to Hardbeinn." (Z. skaða - e-n skaðar ekk i,
      > it does one no harm or damage)

      > Bolli runs to (him) when he saw that and bade (him) not to
      > give Hardbein harm, “Here shall no man do (him) harm and
      > Hardbein shall be given quarter.”

      > Bolli runs up when he saw this and bade (him) not to
      > inflict death( or perhaps just harm, skaði, Z3 or Z1, note
      > skaði is the noun, acc) on him: “No person (man) shall
      > here commit base-work and (I) shall give pardon (grant
      > protection) to Harðbeinn.”

      I think that he’s making the stronger statement that no harm
      is to come to Harðbein. I also think that the last bit is
      impersonal, ‘[it] shall give Harðbein quarter’, with passive
      sense, ‘Harðbein shall be given quarter’.

      > Þeir létu illa yfir hans ferð og töldu mjög á hendur
      > honum, kváðu hann meir hafa sagst í ætt Þorbjarnar skrjúps
      > en Mýrkjartans Írakonungs.

      > They expressed disapproval over his trip and blamed him
      > (lit., "his hands") much, said he more has more declared
      > of himself in weak Thorbjorn's family than Irish King
      > Myrkjartan's. (Z. telja 5 – telja á e-n, to rebuke, blame)

      > They were not pleased about his journey and put much blame
      > at his hands, said him to have more sawn?? in (his)
      > descent from Thorbjorn the weak than Irish King
      > Myrkjartan.

      > They expressed disapproval of his expedition and rebuked
      > greatly his hands (role in it?), declared him to have
      > declared (shown)-himself (to be) more in (the) lineage of
      > Þorbjörn (the) Weak than of Irish-King Mýrkjartan

      Ooh, nasty! <g>

      Buried in <hönd> Z1 you’ll find that <á hendr> (taking a
      dative object) can be essentially a preposition, 'against'.
      Here it’s more or less literally 'spoke against him', i.e.,
      they rebuked him greatly, told him off but good..