Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 64 part 2 - Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2013
      > Hrappur hleypir fram fyrir og dúði spjótsprikuna er hann
      > hafði í hendi og lagði fram fyrir sig og kvað þá vera allt
      > mál að reyna sig.

      > Hrappr gallops forward before and shook the spear-head
      > which he had in hand and stabbed forward before himself
      > and then said is all a case to experience oneself.

      > Hrapp ran forward ahead and shook the spear point which he
      > had in hand and thrust forward ahead of him and said then
      > to be high time to prove himself.

      > Hrappr gallops-swiftly in-front and shook the spear-prick
      > (head, tip) which he had in (his) hand and thrusts (it)
      > forward before himself and declared then (it) already (or
      > altogether, allr, Z5, or allt, Z3) high-time (mál, Z2) to
      > be proving oneself.

      Like Grace, I think that the entire phrase <allt mál> can
      reasonably be translated 'high time'.

      > Verða þeir Helgi þá eigi fyrr varir við en þeir Þorgils
      > taka á þeim selið.

      > They don't become aware of Helgi before that they,
      > Thorgils (and the others) themselves touch the hut. (?)

      > They, Helgi (and co) did not then become aware and they,
      > Thorgils (and co.) reach? the shieling.

      > They, Helgi (and co) became (were) not then on-their-guard
      > against (it) before they, Þorgils (and his co) reach
      > the-shieling with them (?).

      <Þeir taka á þeim selit> is a bit of a puzzle. This is not
      <taka á e-u> 'to touch something': <selit> is accusative,
      not dative, so it can’t fill the <e-u> slot, and if dative
      <þeim> is used to fill it, there’s no place for <selit>.
      Kålund, the editor of my other edition, and MM&HP agree that
      it means 'they surround the shieling'; one possible more or
      less literal reading is 'they take to themselves the
      shieling', which I guess isn’t an unreasonable way to
      express the notion of surrounding something.

      > Helgi svarar: "Fyrir það mun þér ganga sem sá sé nokkuð
      > skæður er hér býr inni að hann muni bíta kunna nær
      > greninu."

      > Helgi answers: "Before you will go as they are somewhat
      > dangerous who live inside here that he would know (how) to
      > harm nearer the lair."

      > Helgi answers, “Because (of that) it will go for you as
      > that were something noxious here inside (the) farmhouse
      > that he will know to bite near the lair.”

      > Helgo answers: “That will go forward for (That will
      > present itself to) you that that-one (ie he) be somewhat
      > noxious who here resides inside (such) that he will
      > be-able-to bite (strike) near the (ie his own) fox-hole.”

      The finite verb must be the first or second element of the
      sentence. In <Fyrir þat mun þér ganga> the finite verb is
      <mun>, so <fyrir þat> must be a single element, and the
      subject of <mun> must be unexpressed. It must be something
      like ‘[It] will go for that to you [i.e., you will discover]
      that he who lives inside here is somewhat dangerous [in]
      that he will know [how] to bite near the [= his] lair’.
      <Kunna + infinitive> meaning 'to be able to X' seems to use
      the full infinitive with <at>, so I chose to translate
      <kunna> as 'know'.

      > Þorsteinn svarti stóð fyrir selsdurunum og Sveinn son
      > Dala-Álfs en þeir aðrir förunautar rifu af ræfrið af
      > selinu og höfðu þeir þar skipt liði til.

      > Thorstein Black and Svein, Dala-Alf's son, stood before
      > the hut's doors and the other companions tore off the roof
      > from the hut and they had there divided (their) troops.

      > Thorstein the black stood before the shieling doors and
      > Svein, son of Dala Alf and those other comrades tore off
      > the roof from the shieling and they had there divided (the
      > company) to (the work).

      > Þorsteinn (the) black stood before the-shieling-door and
      > Sveinn son-of-Dala-Álfr (Álfr of the Dales) but (and)
      > they, (the) other travelling-companions tore off the-roof
      > from the-shieling and they had there divided the troop
      > thereto (ie for that task).

      I think that <þeir> in <þeir aðrir förunautar> is the
      demonstrative pronoun, not the personal pronoun: 'the other
      travelling companions, those other travelling companions'.