Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 62 end + 63 part 1 - Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2013
      > "Vel má eg það gera," segir hann, "að fylgja þér heim því
      > að heimul mun þér gisting hér vera náttlangt.

      > "I can well do that," he says, "to lead you home because
      > you will need accommodations for the night here. (Z.
      > doesn't have "heimul," but has "heimull, a. = heimoll,
      > heimill." For "heimoll," it says "heimoll, a. = heimill."
      > And, finally, for "heimill," it has a longer entry, for
      > which perhaps "heimill er maðr þeim, er hafa þurfu, the
      > food is free to those who need it" applies.)

      That should be <matr> 'food', not <maðr> 'person'. The
      single <l> is because it's feminine here, modifying
      <gisting>.

      > “I may well do it,” says he, “to accompany you home
      > because you will be free to have night lodging all night.

      > “I am well able to do that,” he says, “to guide you home
      > because you have a right to night-lodgings to be (stay)
      > here for-the-night.

      This is actually rather funny. CV and Z pretty clearly
      say that <heimill> here is something like 'having a right
      to'. De Vries glosses <heimill> 'verfügbar', which is
      'available': 'night-lodging will be available to you here
      all night', a somewhat weaker statement. And iIn the modern
      language it appears to be <heimill> 'allowed, permitted';
      <mér er það heimilt> is 'I have permission to do it', and
      this would presumably be 'you are allowed night-lodging',
      with a slightly differnt flavor yet.

      > En ekki muntu Helga finna því að hann er eigi heima."
      > But you will not meet Helgi because he is not at home."
      > But you will not meet Helgi because he is not at home.”
      > But you will not meet Helgi because he is not at-home.”

      Eindrægni!

      > Hann svarar: "Helgi er í seli sínu þar er heitir í Sarpi."

      > He answers: "Helgi is his mountain pasture shed there
      > which is called Sarpi."

      > He answers, “Helgi is in his sheiling there which is
      > called in Sarp.”

      > He answers: “Helgi is in his shieling there where (ie
      > which) is-called in Sarpr.”

      <Sarpr> seems to have been used as a name for rapids and
      waterfalls in Norway. Perhaps the river was rather
      turbulent near the shieling.