Re: [norse_course] Double-check my translation?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
      At 12:31:13 PM on Wednesday, December 26, 2012, Sabin
      Densmore wrote:

      > “We drank countless toasts to the endless times
      > Of the Hunter and the Pleiades.”

      > “Vér drukkum-full útalligr á enda-lauss tíðum
      > veiði-manns eða stjarna”

      I'm guessing that this is 'times' in the sense of 'ages,
      periods, eons', in which case <öld>, plural <aldir>, seems a
      better choice. <Fjósakonurnar þrjár> 'the three byre-maids'
      is a traditional Icelandic name for the three stars in
      Orion's belt, and the Pleiades are known as <Sjöstjörnurnar>
      'the seven stars'; I've used these in place of 'the Hunter'
      and 'the Pleiades'.

      Drukkum vér full útallig á endalaussar aldir
      Fjósakonanna þriggja ok Sjöstjarnanna

      If you really want to keep the Hunter reference, change
      <Fjósakonanna þriggja> to <Veiðimannsins>.

      Brian
    • Sabin Densmore
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2012

        Brian,

        Thanks very much. Can you explain why the separation of “Drukkum” and “full”? I understood “drukkum-full” as meaning “toast”.

        -          sd

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2012
          At 7:09:35 PM on Thursday, December 27, 2012, Sabin Densmore
          wrote:

          > Thanks very much. Can you explain why the separation of
          > “Drukkum” and “full”? I understood “drukkum-full” as
          > meaning “toast”.

          No, <drukkum> is 'drank', 1st person plural past indicative;
          <full> is 'toasts', neuter accusative plural, identical with
          the nominative singular and plural and the accusative
          singular.

          Brian
        • Paul Hansen
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 28, 2012