Re: [norse_course] Double-check my translation?

  • Sabin Densmore
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
      Right, of course. Thank you. I know better than that. :)

      - sd

      On Dec 26, 2012, at 13:18, "Patti (Wilson)" <originalpatricia@...> wrote:

      <SENDER_EMAILoriginalpatricia@gmail@@...>
      Excepting I would say that We - first Person Plural

      Not 3rd Pl - I hope this reaches you - my posts seldom get a reply - I am somewhat of a lurker
      Still a member though AFAIK

      Patricia <viking.gif>

      Person                  sing         Pl
      1                               I            We

      2                            thou         You

      3                              he           They

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
        At 12:31:13 PM on Wednesday, December 26, 2012, Sabin
        Densmore wrote:

        > “We drank countless toasts to the endless times
        > Of the Hunter and the Pleiades.”

        > “Vér drukkum-full útalligr á enda-lauss tíðum
        > veiði-manns eða stjarna”

        I'm guessing that this is 'times' in the sense of 'ages,
        periods, eons', in which case <öld>, plural <aldir>, seems a
        better choice. <Fjósakonurnar þrjár> 'the three byre-maids'
        is a traditional Icelandic name for the three stars in
        Orion's belt, and the Pleiades are known as <Sjöstjörnurnar>
        'the seven stars'; I've used these in place of 'the Hunter'
        and 'the Pleiades'.

        Drukkum vér full útallig á endalaussar aldir
        Fjósakonanna þriggja ok Sjöstjarnanna

        If you really want to keep the Hunter reference, change
        <Fjósakonanna þriggja> to <Veiðimannsins>.

        Brian
      • Sabin Densmore
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2012

          Brian,

          Thanks very much. Can you explain why the separation of “Drukkum” and “full”? I understood “drukkum-full” as meaning “toast”.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2012
            At 7:09:35 PM on Thursday, December 27, 2012, Sabin Densmore
            wrote:

            > Thanks very much. Can you explain why the separation of
            > “Drukkum” and “full”? I understood “drukkum-full” as
            > meaning “toast”.

            No, <drukkum> is 'drank', 1st person plural past indicative;
            <full> is 'toasts', neuter accusative plural, identical with
            the nominative singular and plural and the accusative
            singular.

            Brian
          • Paul Hansen
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 28, 2012