Double-check my translation?

  • Sabin Densmore
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012

      Hello all,

      I’m working on translating a line of my father’s poetry from English into Old Norse. Can any of you double-check me?

      Here’s his original line:

      “We drank countless toasts to the endless times

      Of the Hunter and the Pleiades.”

      Here’s my analysis:

      “We (nom) drank (3rd, pl) countless (adj, acc) toasts (acc) to the endless (adj, dat) times (dat)

      Of the Hunter (gen) and (conj) the Pleiades (gen)”

      And here’s what I came up with:

      “Vér drukkum-full útalligr á enda-lauss tíðum

      veiði-manns eða stjarna”

      Let me know how close/far I am.

      Thanks in advance,

      - sd

    • Patti (Wilson)
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
        Excepting I would say that We - first Person Plural

        Not 3rd Pl - I hope this reaches you - my posts seldom get a reply - I am somewhat of a lurker
        Still a member though AFAIK

        Patricia

        Person                  sing         Pl
        1                               I            We

        2                            thou         You

        3                              he           They

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
          Right, of course. Thank you. I know better than that. :)

          - sd

          On Dec 26, 2012, at 13:18, "Patti (Wilson)" <originalpatricia@...> wrote:

          <SENDER_EMAILoriginalpatricia@gmail@@...>
          Excepting I would say that We - first Person Plural

          Not 3rd Pl - I hope this reaches you - my posts seldom get a reply - I am somewhat of a lurker
          Still a member though AFAIK

          Patricia <viking.gif>

          Person                  sing         Pl
          1                               I            We

          2                            thou         You

          3                              he           They

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 26, 2012
            At 12:31:13 PM on Wednesday, December 26, 2012, Sabin
            Densmore wrote:

            > “We drank countless toasts to the endless times
            > Of the Hunter and the Pleiades.”

            > “Vér drukkum-full útalligr á enda-lauss tíðum
            > veiði-manns eða stjarna”

            I'm guessing that this is 'times' in the sense of 'ages,
            periods, eons', in which case <öld>, plural <aldir>, seems a
            better choice. <Fjósakonurnar þrjár> 'the three byre-maids'
            is a traditional Icelandic name for the three stars in
            Orion's belt, and the Pleiades are known as <Sjöstjörnurnar>
            'the seven stars'; I've used these in place of 'the Hunter'
            and 'the Pleiades'.

            Drukkum vér full útallig á endalaussar aldir
            Fjósakonanna þriggja ok Sjöstjarnanna

            If you really want to keep the Hunter reference, change
            <Fjósakonanna þriggja> to <Veiðimannsins>.

            Brian
          • Sabin Densmore
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2012

              Brian,

              Thanks very much. Can you explain why the separation of “Drukkum” and “full”? I understood “drukkum-full” as meaning “toast”.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 27, 2012
                At 7:09:35 PM on Thursday, December 27, 2012, Sabin Densmore
                wrote:

                > Thanks very much. Can you explain why the separation of
                > “Drukkum” and “full”? I understood “drukkum-full” as
                > meaning “toast”.

                No, <drukkum> is 'drank', 1st person plural past indicative;
                <full> is 'toasts', neuter accusative plural, identical with
                the nominative singular and plural and the accusative
                singular.

                Brian
              • Paul Hansen
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 28, 2012