Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 50 end + 51 part 1 -- Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2012
      > En Guðlaugur systurson Ósvífurs skyldi vera ógildur fyrir
      > tilför og fyrirsát við Kjartan og öngvar skyldi Þórólfur
      > sæmdir hafa fyrir áverka þá er hann hafði fengið.

      > But Osvifr's nephew Gudlaugr should be unatoned for
      > partaking also (in the) ambush against Kjartan and
      > Thoroflr should have narrow honors for those wounds which
      > he received.

      > But Gudlaug, Osvif’s nephew, should be uncompensated
      > regarding the attack and ambush on Kjartan and Thorolf
      > should have honour surpressed?? for the misdeed then which
      > he had done.

      > But Guðlaugr, Ósvífr’s-nephew (lit: sister’s-son) should
      > be (remain) unatoned for (the) attack and ambush against
      > Kjartan and Þórúlf should have no (masc acc sg of öngr)
      > redress (soemd, Z2) for that bodily-injury which he had
      > received.

      <Öngvar> is the fem. acc. plur. of <öngr>, to match
      <sæmdir>.

      > Eigi vildi Ólafur láta sækja Bolla og bað hann koma fé
      > fyrir sig.

      > Olafr didn't want to let (anyone) pursue Bolli and asked
      > him (to) take money for himself.

      > Olaf did not wish to have Bolli attacked and bade him come
      > with money for himself.

      > Ólafr would not allow to prosecute (, ie the prosecution
      > of, legal pursuit, soekja, Z8) Bolli and bade him bring
      > money for himself (ie on his own behalf).

      In other words, to pay damages even though he was not
      prosecuted.

      > Ólafur kvað hlýða mundu meðan hann væri á fótum.

      > Olafr said (that they) would obey as long as he would be
      > out of bed.

      > Olaf said (they) would obey while he was alive.

      > Ólafr declared (they) would yield to (him) (hlýða, Z2 or
      > perhaps, (it) would be in order, Z3?) while he was up (ie
      > alive, lit on (his) feet).

      The implied subject of <mundu> must be plural, so I'm
      inclined to go with Z2, MM&HP to the contrary
      notwithstanding.

      > Hann var á þinginu og mælti: "Það er til kostar að þessa
      > manna sekt mun eigi minni í Noregi ef vinir Kjartans
      > lifa."

      > He was at the assembly and said: "It is well done that
      > this man's guilt will not be remembered (?) in Norway if
      > Kjartan's friends live."

      > He was at the Thing and spoke, “It is a chance that for
      > these men outlawry will be not less in Norway if Kjartan’s
      > friends live.”

      > He was at the-Thing and spoke: “That is well done (see
      > kostr, Z13) that (the) outlawry of these people will not
      > (be) less in Norway if Kjartan’s friends live (ie are
      > still alive)

      CV has another example that would make it 'It is a comfort
      that ...'. I might go for 'It's a good thing that ...'.

      > Þar týndist hvert mannsbarn af skipinu.

      > There each man's children perished on the ship.

      > Every child of man on the ship perished there.

      > There perished each child-of-a-person (living soul) from
      > the-ship,

      Or to use the closest English idiom, every mother's son.

      > Þótti það mjög hafa á hrinið er Ósvífur hafði spáð.

      > It was thought much had taken effect, which Osvifr had
      > predicted. (Z. hrína 2 - h. á (or á e-m), to take effect,
      > esp. of imprecations)

      > It seemed to many to have taken effect what Osvif had
      > predicted.

      > That, which Ósvífr had foretold, seemed very-nearly (see
      > mjök, Z, Z3) to have taken-effect (see hrína, Z2).

      I think that <mjög> here is straightforwardly 'greatly':
      'Ósvíf's prophecy ['that which Ó. had foretold'] was
      thougght to have had great effect ['taken effect greatly']'.

      Brian
    • Alan Thompson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2012

        > En Guðlaugur systurson Ósvífurs skyldi vera ógildur fyrir

        > tilför og fyrirsát við Kjartan og öngvar skyldi Þórólfur
        > sæmdir hafa fyrir áverka þá er hann hafði fengið.

        > But Guðlaugr, Ósvífr’s-nephew (lit: sister’s-son) should
        > be (remain) unatoned for (the) attack and ambush against
        > Kjartan and Þórúlf should have no (masc acc sg of öngr)
        > redress (soemd, Z2) for that bodily-injury which he had
        > received.

        <Öngvar> is the fem. acc. plur. of <öngr>, to match
        <sæmdir>.

        Sorry, must have been distracted when typing that

        Cheers

        Alan

        Recent Activity:

        ·         New Members 1