Tala 3

  • Anþanareiks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
      ek segi:
      Ek vinn frá morgni til kvölds.

      example:
      ek segi þat guði (Æsi)
      I declare to God (to the Æsir)
      seg þú
      Feel free to correct any mistakes, or provide alternative solutions
    • keth@online.no
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2001
        Hello Anthanareiks !

        I admire your enthusiasm. That is exactly what it takes to
        learn a new language! Below you sent a very short sentence
        to the list. I think that is exactly what the list needs.
        (so that it doesn't fall asleep!)

        You wrote :
        >ek segi:
        >Ek vinn frá morgni til kvölds.

        Looking at the sentence it looks correct to me.
        But I must confess that I am not sufficiently
        drilled in verb-endings to say for sure. But somehow
        it looks okay. It gives me the right feeling.
        For example the dativ with frá and the genitive
        with til. Also the use of "to win" for the concept
        of "working for ones bread". It all looks okay to me.
        To give you some feedback, here is how this sentence
        would run in Norwegian (nynorsk or "new norse"):
        "Eg arbeider frå morgen til kveld".

        >example:
        >ek segi þat guði (Æsi)
        >I declare to God (to the Æsir)

        Here also the dative form for those
        you say something to, must be correct.
        What I am less certain about is the translation
        by "declare". To me "segja" is more like saying
        something, or telling something.
        So I would translate it as "I say it to a god."
        {I tell it to an Áss (NB singular)}

        >seg þú

        That looks like an imperative. Correct?
        (I'd have to look it up to verify it.
        I don't know the language well enough by far,
        to manage without a grammar book!)

        Keep up the good work!

        Keth