FW: The Poetic Edda: A Study Guide

  • WReaves
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 9 KB
    Hi,

    I've recently made some updates to my study guide for the Eddic poem
    Hrafnagaldur Odins (Odin's Raven-Magic)

    A complete study guide for the poem, including Texts, Translations, and
    Scholarship can be found at:

    http://www.germanicmythology.com/PoeticEdda/Hrafnagaldr%20Odins.html

    In regard to the foreign language editions of the poem, I am actively
    seeking English translations of the foreign translations in order to study
    their findings. If you are able to help and provide a translation of one of
    these foreign language translations of HRG, I'll post it on the site, with
    your name. The purpose of such a translation is to see what scholars in
    other languages are finding, and to compare with the English language
    scholars. You'll find French, German, and Spanish translations, if you're
    willing and able.

    I have also created study guides for the poems:

    Voluspa: http://www.germanicmythology.com/PoeticEdda/Voluspa.html

    Grimnismal: http://www.germanicmythology.com/PoeticEdda/Grimnismal.html

    Thrymskvida: http://www.germanicmythology.com/PoeticEdda/Thrymskvida.html

    These are in various stages of completion. I intend to include full
    commentaries to the poems in time. Currently, you will find most all the
    available English translations, as well as foreign language translations of
    the poems there, and photocopies of the manuscripts when available. I'm also
    seeking previously published foreign language translations of these poems to
    add to these guides. Should you send me one, I will credit you on-site (if
    you chose) as the donor/transcriber of the poem.

    You'll also find a longer version of the poem Baldrs draumr, preserved in
    later paper manuscripts at:

    http://www.germanicmythology.com/works/elderedda/vegtamskvida.html

    And the low-down on the imitation Gunnarsslaggr:

    http://www.germanicmythology.com/PoeticEdda/gunnarsslagr.html

    As always, your feedback is welcome. If you like the site, please consider
    donating whatever you can (time, materials, etc). For monetary
    contributions, you'll find a link in the lower right hand column of the
    site. Thank you for your support.

    Wassail, William

    William P. Reaves
    Translator of "Our Fathers' Godsaga" by Viktor Rydberg
    www.germanicmythology.com