Pronunciation ?

  • Mikki
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2011
      Hi new to the group and norse in general, but can someone please show me the whole alphabet and the pronuciation of them too? Thanks a bunch!!
    • uruzztyrburr
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2012
        heres are some sites and but first check out the file section here on this group there is alot of good files to browse through one site:

        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/onpronounce.html

        https://notendur.hi.is/haukurth/norse/articles/pronunc.html

        https://notendur.hi.is/haukurth/norse/articles/altpron.html

        http://www.omniglot.com/writing/oldnorse.htm

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Mikki" <blinks_1000@...> wrote:

        > Hi new to the group and norse in general, but can someone please show me the whole alphabet and the pronuciation of them too? Thanks a bunch!!

      • Hrafn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2012
          --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Mikki" <blinks_1000@...> wrote:

          > Hi new to the group and norse in general, but can someone please show me the whole alphabet and the pronuciation of them too? Thanks a bunch!!

          Well, do you have any book about old norse? :b

          If not, the internet is the best way to go. There is of course the description in "Old norse for beginners", i guess you already found that one.

          Long time ago i did a translation and a subtiteling of Arne Torp (he is a professor in old norse). Here is he quoting some parts of a poem. Just follow the old norse text, and listen how he pronunc it.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagMYiZ2NP0

          Another one which maybe can be this one:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7b1eDTnK8

          It can also be great to combine it with modern icelandic (you should note the differences between old norse and icelandic)

          The way i learned to pronunc it was reading and listen, and then learn to sing it myself.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kdii8bEf5E

          You can often find such sungs by this "English title + icelandic + sub"