Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 37 part 3 - Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25 12:44 AM
      At 6:26:59 AM on Saturday, July 16, 2011, Alan Thompson
      wrote:

      > Thanks Brian. One follow up comment below…

      That's pretty much how I read it, too.

      > which is similar to the CV gloss and, I think consistent
      > with my translation where overcome = slay. No mention of
      > destiny in their explanation, if my translation of it is
      > correct.

      My guess is that they're explaining the usage in this
      particular context, while CV and Z were trying to capture a
      sense common to this and other instance of the construction.
      I've no quarrel with the interpretation that he was easy to
      kill, put up a poor defence, etc.; I was just trying to
      explain, if only for my own benefit, how that the expression
      might have come to have that meaning in this context.