Re: [norse_course] Star Wars XXX end & XXXI beginning - Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
      > "Hǫfðingr es hann," segir Lúkr, "Ok striðshetja.
      > "He is a chief," says Luke, "And a battle hero.
      > “He is a chieftain,” says Luke, “and hero-of-strife?

      We'd say 'war hero', I think.

      > Ok hefik eigi heyrt at nekkvert ráð es dottit í hug þér."

      > And I have not heard any plan which is fallen in your
      > mind."

      > and I have not heard that some plan has dropped into your
      > mind.”

      Rob: You overlooked the <at>. Note also that 'which is
      fallen' would require a verb *and* a relative pronoun, and
      <es> couldn't do duty for both at once.

      > "Þat þykki mér ráð, at vit heptim frískan bandingja várn."

      > "That seems to me a plan, that we bind our Frisian
      > prisoner."

      > “It seems to me a plan, that we restrain our Frisian
      > prisoner.”

      Judging from other examples of the construction seen in <þat
      þykki mér ráð>, it's 'It seems to me advisable'.

      > Tsiubakka mislíkaði þetta mjǫk, en Hólmgǫngu-Hani skynjaði
      > ætlun Lúks ok gaf ró reiði Tsiubakkas, "Ok hygg ek, at ek
      > vita þaz hann ætlar."

      > Chewbacca disliked this very much, and Dueler-Han
      > understood Luke's intention and gave peace to Chewbacca's
      > anger, "And I believe, that I know that which he intends."

      > Chewbacca strongly disliked this, but Duel Han understood
      > Luke’s intention and gave rest to Chewbacca’s wrath, “And
      > I think that I know that (which) he intends.”

      I agree with Grace about <en>: here it's definitely 'but'.
      No need for parentheses around 'which': <þaz> is a
      contraction of <þat es>, so the 'which' is there.

      > "Þat es dyrrnar þar," segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani, "Ok fáið it
      > þær lokaðar.

      > "That is doors (plural?) there," says Dueler-Han, "And
      > make them locked.

      > “There are doors there,” says Duel Han, “And ye can lock
      > them.

      Rob: <Dyrr> is a plural without a singular; it can
      correspond to 'door' or to 'doors', depending on context.
      The last part is the <fá> + past part. 'can do X'

      > Nú taka þeir Hólmgǫngu-Hani bát, ok róa þeir at
      > Dauðastjǫrnu, en es Tsiubakka inn fríski á bátinum bundinn
      > sem bandingi.

      > Now they, Dueler Han (and the others) take a boat, and
      > they row to the Deathstar, but Chewbacca the Frisian is on
      > the boat bound as a prisoner.

      > Now they, Duel Han (and company) take a boat and they row
      > to Death Star, but Chewbacca, the Frisian, is on the boat
      > bound like a prisoner.

      Here I think that <en> is just narrative 'and': it doesn't
      seem to be contrasting two things.

      > Hólmgǫngu-Hani ok Lúkr klæddusk aptr hvítum brynjum þeira
      > norrœnnu hermanna, es síðari menn kǫlluðu Stormhermenn,
      > því at sá herr fell inn í Aldiranborg sem in mesta
      > stormhrina, ok brenndi þá borg ok allt þat es í vas, ok at
      > svá gǫru, drógusk þeira hvítu hjálmar út aptr roðnir
      > dreyra, sem blóðugr eisandi boði.

      > Dueler-Han and Luke were dressed up (with) white mail as
      > Norwegian warriors, which later men called Storm troopers,
      > because such troopers fell on Oldiranborg as great storms,
      > and they burned the town and all that was in (it), and did
      > so, drew their white helmets out after red blood, as a
      > bloody foaming message.

      > Duel Han and Luke dressed themselves with white chain mail
      > like those Norse warriors, who later people called
      > Stormtroopers, because that army fell upon Aldiranborg as
      > in the worst howling storm and then burned the town and
      > all that which was inside, and that so done, drew their
      > white helmets back out reddened to bleed, as a bloody
      > foaming sign.

      The only sense of <aptr> that seems to fit here is 'again'
      (Z5), even though CV says that this is not an early usage.
      <Stormhrina> is literally 'storm-howling': in Germanic
      nominal compounds the first element always modifies the
      second. However, 'like the greatest howling storm' or the
      like probably captures the intent just fine.

      <Boði> can't be 'sign, message', and 'bloody, foaming
      announcer/messenger' seems a wee bit unlikely <g>; it must
      be 'a breaker (on hidden rocks)', making the last bit 'like
      a bloody, foaming breaker'. <Hjálmar> can only be nom., so
      <þeira hvítu hjálmar> must be the subject of <drógusk>. CV
      gives 'to recede' for <dragask út>, referring to the tide;
      that fits nicely with the breaker image and leaves only <at
      svá gǫru>, <aptr>, and <roðnir dreyra> unaccounted for.

      <Roðnir> 'reddened' is no problem. <Dreyra> is the dative
      of <dreyri> 'blood, gore', used here as an instrumental
      dative, 'reddened with gore'. <Aptr> 'back' seems merely to
      indicate that the helmets are not merely receding fromm the
      town, but are doing so in the direction from which they

      <At svá gǫru> can (essentially) be found in Zoëga s.v.
      <görr>: (Z3) has <at svá görvu> 'this being the case'. (I'm
      a little surprised that Jackson omitted the <v>, since it's
      the older form.) Here I think that the sense is actually
      'this being done', making it 'and this being done, their
      white helmets drew back, reddened with gore, like a bloody,
      foaming breaker'.