Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 36 beginning - Rob's Translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2011
      > Áttu þau Guðrún þar mikið traust.
      > They, Gudrun (and he), had much help.
      > They, Gudrun (and son) had much help there.
      > They, Guðrún (and Ósvífr?) had there (from that quarter)
      > much support.

      My guess, since the rest of the 'they' doesn't really seem
      to be well-determined by the context, is that <þau Guðrún>
      refers generally to Guðrún and those immediately around and
      associated with her -- more or less her immediate family,
      but perhaps also including unrelated dependents. It
      probably would include Ósvífr, since he was apparently also
      living at Laugar.

      > Síðan fer Gestur Oddleifsson á fund Hallsteins goða og
      > gerði honum tvo kosti, að hann skyldi reka í brott þessa
      > fjölkunnigu menn ella kvaðst hann mundu drepa þá "og er þó
      > ofseinað."

      > Then Gest Oddleifson went to meet Hallstein the priest and
      > gave him two choices, that he should drive away these
      > sorcery men or stated for himself he would kill them "and
      > yet ( ofseinað?)."

      > Afterwards Gest Oddleif’s son goes to a meeting with
      > Chieftain Hallstein and gave him two choices, (one:) that
      > he should drive these sorcerer people away or (two:) he
      > would kill them “and (it) is still too late.”

      > After-that Gestr Oddleifr’-son goes to a meeting of (ie to
      > see) Hallstein goði (priest-chieftain) and gave him two
      > choices, that he should drive away these people
      > skilled-in-magic or he declared-of-himself (that he) would
      > kill them “and (but)(it) is still too-late (see seina,
      > Z1).”

      I think that the last bit is to be understood as 'even
      though it is over-late [to be doing so]', i.e., 'even though
      it ought to have been done earlier'.

      Such benevolence: usually when someone is given 'tvá kosti',
      one of them is fatal to the *recipient*!

      > Kotkell svarar: "Gera skal þér kost á því.
      > Kotkell answers" "You shall give a choice concerning them.
      > Kotkell answers, “You shall make a choice in it.
      > Kotkell answers: “(I) shall grant a choice (make terms?)
      > for you (þér is dative case) on that.

      'Make terms', I think: '[I]'ll make you terms concerning
      that'.