Re: [norse_course] Star Wars XXVI part 2 - - Grace's translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2011
      > En þá es Gríðó sá Hólmgǫngu-Hana
      > And when Grido saw Dueler-Han
      > But then when Grido saw Duel Han

      I'd say simply 'But when G. saw D-H'.

      > Hann gekk með reidda øxi segjandi, “Hvert ferr þú,
      > Hólmgǫngu-Hani Sólósson?”

      > He went with a brandished ax, saying, "Where did you go,
      > Dueler-Han, Soloson?"

      > He went with poised axe saying, “Where are you going, Duel
      > Han Solo’s son?”

      Rob: <Ferr> is present tense; 2nd person sing. indic. past
      tense would be <fórt>.

      > “Komdu heill ok sæll, Gríðó,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani, “Ok
      > vitjak konungs þíns snart.

      > "Come good luck and fortunate, Grido," says Dueler-Han,
      > "And go to thy King swiftly.

      > “(May) you arrive hale and well,Grido,” says Duel Han,
      > “and I visit your king soon.

      <Kom(du) heill ok sæll> is a greeting, literally 'come (you)
      hale and happy!'; it could reasonably be translated
      'welcome', 'hail', or even 'hello'. <Kom(du) heill> by
      itself is also used, and it (without the pronoun) could
      almost literally be translated simply as 'welcome'. (See
      Zoëga s.v. <heill> (3).) <Kom(du) sæll> is also used.

      <Vitjak> is a contraction of <vitja ek>, which means that in
      this case <vitja> must be a 1st person sing. form of the
      verb; a quick check of the conjugation tables shows that
      it's the present subjunctive. To quote Michael Barnes:

      Subjunctive endings are found chiefly in sentences where
      the predicate denotes something regarded by the
      speaker/writer as hypothetical: a wish, request,
      instruction, supposition, possibility etc.

      Thus, the subjunctive appears to introduce an element of
      uncertainty into what would otherwise be a definite
      assertion, and the problem is to decide just what sort of
      uncertainty is involved: is it a wish that might not be
      fulfilled, a possibility that might not be realized, or
      what? In this context it doesn't really look like a wish,
      and 'possibility' is pretty vague; here it looks to me like
      an intention that might be frustrated by events. I'd make
      it 'I should be visiting your king soon', 'I intend to visit
      your king soon', 'I plan to visit your king soon', or the
      like.

      I agree with Grace that 'soon' fits the context better than
      'swiftly'.

      > “Of seint es þat,” kvað Gríðó inn grœni hlæjandi, “Fyr hví
      > galtstu eigi hann þá áðr, þá es þú vart nærri Danmǫrku?

      > "If (of = ef?) that is true," said Grido the Green
      > laughing, "Why didn't you pay (galstu = gjalda?) him then
      > before, when you were nearer Denmark?

      > “It is too late,” said Grido the green laughing, “Why
      > didn’t you pay him then before, then when you were closer
      > to Denmark?

      Rob: This is the second <of> in Zoëga, the adverb whose
      basic sense is 'too (much)'. <Galstu> is indeed from
      <gjalda>; specifically, it's a contraction of <galzt þú>
      'you paid'.

      > Mikil laun eru þau, es fengi maðr sá, es drepi
      > Hólmgǫngu-Hana ok Tsiubakka inn fríska.

      > Big rewards are they, who catch the man, who slay
      > Dueler-Han and Chewbacca the Frisian.

      > Great are the rewards ???? that man who kills Duel Han and
      > Chewbacca the Frisian.

      <Laun> is formally a plural, but the natural English
      translation is singular, 'reward'. (This goes for all of
      the later instances as well.) 'It is a great reward that
      that man would get who would kill D-H and Ch. the Frisian.'

      > Þau laun sé meiri en nekkvat skattfjá þinna sé virð,
      > ætlak.

      > The rewards are more than some of your tribute money is
      > worth, I think.

      > Those rewards be more than some of your tribute money be
      > worth, I expect.

      <Nekkvat> here is probably 'any' rather than 'some': the
      reward is worth more than any of the tribute money.

      > “Ef þú gefr mér skattfé þetta, es þú kveðsk sjálfan hafa,
      > fæ ek því gleymdu, at ek sá þik,” segir Gríðó, “En annars
      > ertu drepinn.”

      > "If you give me this tribute, which you youself say for
      > yourself (to) have, I can thus forget, that I saw you,"
      > says Grido, "But otherwise you are slain."

      > “If you give me this tribute money, which you say of
      > yourself to have, I can forget it, that I saw you,” says
      > Grido, “But otherwise you are dead.”

      Grace is right about <því>: it's simply the pronoun. An
      idiomatic English translation would simply ignore it: 'I can
      forget that I saw you'.

      > “Þegiðu, Hani,” segir Gríðó hlæjandi enn, “Ertu hvítasti
      > manna, jafnan óviljaðr á þat at berjask.”

      > "Be silent, Han," says Grido still laughing, "You are the
      > whitest (??) man, always unwilling at that to attack."

      > “Shut up, Han,” says Grido still laughing, “You are the
      > whitest (most cowardly?) of men, always unwilling to
      > fight.”

      I did some digging. It appears that a fairly strong case
      can be made that to call a man <hvítr> was to suggest that
      he was effeminate, unmanly, and by implication cowardly,
      pretty much the same as calling him <argr>. Apparently at
      some point the adjective had became rather strongly
      associated with women. G's comment was therefore a pretty
      strong insult, more than reason enough for a hólmgang.
      'Most cowardly' or 'most unmanly' seems a reasonable
      rendering.

      > “Þat es níð, ok vil ek bjóða þér til hólmgǫngu um þetta
      > mál,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani.

      > "That is an insult, and I will invite (i.e., challenge)
      > you to a duel concerning this matter," says Dueler-Han.

      > “That is an insult, and I want to offer you a duel about
      > this issue,” says Duel Han

      It's definitely stronger than 'offer'; 'bid' would work, but
      'challenge' would be my choice.

      > “Hvers konar hólmganga væri sú?” spyrr Gríðó.
      > "Which kind of duel is that?" asks Grido.
      > “What kind of duel would that be?” asks Grido.

      As Grace notes, <væri> is subjunctive, 'would be'.

      > “Engi hólmgǫngustaðr es sjá.”
      > This is not a duel city."
      > “No duel place is this.”

      Rob: <Staðr> is very rarely 'town, city'; the basic meaning
      is 'place', which is what's wanted here.