Star Wars XXVI part 2 - - Grace's translation

  • Fred & Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2011
      En þá es Gríðó sá Hólmgǫngu-Hana nú á Mósæslastǫðum, minnti þetta hann þeira
      hluta, ok vildi
      But then when Grido saw Duel Han now at Mosaesla Steads, he recalled those
      things and he wanted

      hann drepa Hólmgǫngu-Hana sem snarast. Hann gekk með reidda øxi segjandi,
      “Hvert ferr þú, Hólmgǫngu-Hani Sólósson?”
      to kill Duel Han as quickly as possible. He went with poised axe saying,
      “Where are you going, Duel Han Solo’s son?”

      “Komdu heill ok sæll, Gríðó,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani, “Ok vitjak konungs þíns
      snart. Segiðu honum, at ek skattfé hans hefi.”
      “(May) you arrive hale and well,Grido,” says Duel Han, “and I visit your
      king soon. Tell him that I have his tribute money.”

      “Of seint es þat,” kvað Gríðó inn grœni hlæjandi, “Fyr hví galtstu eigi hann
      þá áðr, þá es þú vart
      “It is too late,” said Grido the green laughing, “Why didn’t you pay him
      then before, then when you were

      nærri Danmǫrku? Mikil laun eru þau, es fengi maðr sá, es drepi
      Hólmgǫngu-Hana ok Tsiubakka
      closer to Denmark? Great are the rewards ???? that man who kills Duel Han
      and Chewbacca

      inn fríska. Þau laun sé meiri en nekkvat skattfjá þinna sé virð, ætlak.
      Heppinn em ek, at ek fann þik fyrst.”
      the Frisian. Those rewards be more than some of your tribute money be
      worth, I expect. I am lucky that I found you first.”

      “Ja víst ertu heppinn,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani, “En ek hefi skattfé hans.
      Láttu mik gjalda honum
      “Yes certainly you are lucky,” says Duel Han, “But I have his tribute money.
      Let me pay him

      þat sjálfr, ok þá taktu laun þau es lagin vǭru á hǫfuð mitt, ef Jabbi vill
      enn sjá mik dauðan.”
      it myself and then you take those rewards which are placed on my head, if
      Jabba will still see me dead.”

      “Ef þú gefr mér skattfé þetta, es þú kveðsk sjálfan hafa, fæ ek því gleymdu,
      at ek sá þik,” segir Gríðó, “En annars ertu drepinn.”
      “If you give me this tribute money, which you say of yourself to have, I can
      forget it, that I saw you,” says Grido, “But otherwise you are dead.”

      “Ek hefi eigi fé þat með mik hér,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani, “Segiðu Jabba…”
      “I don’t have that money with me here,” says Duel Han, “Tell Jabba….”

      “Þegiðu, Hani,” segir Gríðó hlæjandi enn, “Ertu hvítasti manna, jafnan
      óviljaðr á þat at berjask.”
      “Shut up, Han,” says Grido still laughing, “You are the whitest (most
      cowardly?) of men, always unwilling to fight.”

      “Þat es níð, ok vil ek bjóða þér til hólmgǫngu um þetta mál,” segir
      Hólmgǫngu-Hani.
      “That is an insult, and I want to offer you a duel about this issue,” says
      Duel Han

      “Hvers konar hólmganga væri sú?” spyrr Gríðó. “Engi hólmgǫngustaðr es sjá.”
      “What kind of duel would that be?” asks Grido. “No duel place is this.”

      “Lát okkr tvá skjóta øxum,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani, “Vas faðir minn víkingr
      mikill, ok mér þykki sú in karlmannlegasta íþrótt.”
      “Let us two throw axes,” says Duel Han, “My father was a great Viking and
      this seems to me
      the most manly skill.”

      Fred & Grace Hatton
      Hawley, Pa.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2011
        > En þá es Gríðó sá Hólmgǫngu-Hana
        > And when Grido saw Dueler-Han
        > But then when Grido saw Duel Han

        I'd say simply 'But when G. saw D-H'.

        > Hann gekk með reidda øxi segjandi, “Hvert ferr þú,
        > Hólmgǫngu-Hani Sólósson?”

        > He went with a brandished ax, saying, "Where did you go,
        > Dueler-Han, Soloson?"

        > He went with poised axe saying, “Where are you going, Duel
        > Han Solo’s son?”

        Rob: <Ferr> is present tense; 2nd person sing. indic. past
        tense would be <fórt>.

        > “Komdu heill ok sæll, Gríðó,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani, “Ok
        > vitjak konungs þíns snart.

        > "Come good luck and fortunate, Grido," says Dueler-Han,
        > "And go to thy King swiftly.

        > “(May) you arrive hale and well,Grido,” says Duel Han,
        > “and I visit your king soon.

        <Kom(du) heill ok sæll> is a greeting, literally 'come (you)
        hale and happy!'; it could reasonably be translated
        'welcome', 'hail', or even 'hello'. <Kom(du) heill> by
        itself is also used, and it (without the pronoun) could
        almost literally be translated simply as 'welcome'. (See
        Zoëga s.v. <heill> (3).) <Kom(du) sæll> is also used.

        <Vitjak> is a contraction of <vitja ek>, which means that in
        this case <vitja> must be a 1st person sing. form of the
        verb; a quick check of the conjugation tables shows that
        it's the present subjunctive. To quote Michael Barnes:

        Subjunctive endings are found chiefly in sentences where
        the predicate denotes something regarded by the
        speaker/writer as hypothetical: a wish, request,
        instruction, supposition, possibility etc.

        Thus, the subjunctive appears to introduce an element of
        uncertainty into what would otherwise be a definite
        assertion, and the problem is to decide just what sort of
        uncertainty is involved: is it a wish that might not be
        fulfilled, a possibility that might not be realized, or
        what? In this context it doesn't really look like a wish,
        and 'possibility' is pretty vague; here it looks to me like
        an intention that might be frustrated by events. I'd make
        it 'I should be visiting your king soon', 'I intend to visit
        your king soon', 'I plan to visit your king soon', or the
        like.

        I agree with Grace that 'soon' fits the context better than
        'swiftly'.

        > “Of seint es þat,” kvað Gríðó inn grœni hlæjandi, “Fyr hví
        > galtstu eigi hann þá áðr, þá es þú vart nærri Danmǫrku?

        > "If (of = ef?) that is true," said Grido the Green
        > laughing, "Why didn't you pay (galstu = gjalda?) him then
        > before, when you were nearer Denmark?

        > “It is too late,” said Grido the green laughing, “Why
        > didn’t you pay him then before, then when you were closer
        > to Denmark?

        Rob: This is the second <of> in Zoëga, the adverb whose
        basic sense is 'too (much)'. <Galstu> is indeed from
        <gjalda>; specifically, it's a contraction of <galzt þú>
        'you paid'.

        > Mikil laun eru þau, es fengi maðr sá, es drepi
        > Hólmgǫngu-Hana ok Tsiubakka inn fríska.

        > Big rewards are they, who catch the man, who slay
        > Dueler-Han and Chewbacca the Frisian.

        > Great are the rewards ???? that man who kills Duel Han and
        > Chewbacca the Frisian.

        <Laun> is formally a plural, but the natural English
        translation is singular, 'reward'. (This goes for all of
        the later instances as well.) 'It is a great reward that
        that man would get who would kill D-H and Ch. the Frisian.'

        > Þau laun sé meiri en nekkvat skattfjá þinna sé virð,
        > ætlak.

        > The rewards are more than some of your tribute money is
        > worth, I think.

        > Those rewards be more than some of your tribute money be
        > worth, I expect.

        <Nekkvat> here is probably 'any' rather than 'some': the
        reward is worth more than any of the tribute money.

        > “Ef þú gefr mér skattfé þetta, es þú kveðsk sjálfan hafa,
        > fæ ek því gleymdu, at ek sá þik,” segir Gríðó, “En annars
        > ertu drepinn.”

        > "If you give me this tribute, which you youself say for
        > yourself (to) have, I can thus forget, that I saw you,"
        > says Grido, "But otherwise you are slain."

        > “If you give me this tribute money, which you say of
        > yourself to have, I can forget it, that I saw you,” says
        > Grido, “But otherwise you are dead.”

        Grace is right about <því>: it's simply the pronoun. An
        idiomatic English translation would simply ignore it: 'I can
        forget that I saw you'.

        > “Þegiðu, Hani,” segir Gríðó hlæjandi enn, “Ertu hvítasti
        > manna, jafnan óviljaðr á þat at berjask.”

        > "Be silent, Han," says Grido still laughing, "You are the
        > whitest (??) man, always unwilling at that to attack."

        > “Shut up, Han,” says Grido still laughing, “You are the
        > whitest (most cowardly?) of men, always unwilling to
        > fight.”

        I did some digging. It appears that a fairly strong case
        can be made that to call a man <hvítr> was to suggest that
        he was effeminate, unmanly, and by implication cowardly,
        pretty much the same as calling him <argr>. Apparently at
        some point the adjective had became rather strongly
        associated with women. G's comment was therefore a pretty
        strong insult, more than reason enough for a hólmgang.
        'Most cowardly' or 'most unmanly' seems a reasonable
        rendering.

        > “Þat es níð, ok vil ek bjóða þér til hólmgǫngu um þetta
        > mál,” segir Hólmgǫngu-Hani.

        > "That is an insult, and I will invite (i.e., challenge)
        > you to a duel concerning this matter," says Dueler-Han.

        > “That is an insult, and I want to offer you a duel about
        > this issue,” says Duel Han

        It's definitely stronger than 'offer'; 'bid' would work, but
        'challenge' would be my choice.

        > “Hvers konar hólmganga væri sú?” spyrr Gríðó.
        > "Which kind of duel is that?" asks Grido.
        > “What kind of duel would that be?” asks Grido.

        As Grace notes, <væri> is subjunctive, 'would be'.

        > “Engi hólmgǫngustaðr es sjá.”
        > This is not a duel city."
        > “No duel place is this.”

        Rob: <Staðr> is very rarely 'town, city'; the basic meaning
        is 'place', which is what's wanted here.