  • Fabrizio Santoro
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 14, 2011
      Where can I seriously find informations, books or materials on the Net to start learning Norse? I've already printed http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/ lessons..

      A friend of mine studies it in Oslo University..
    • bmscotttg
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 14, 2011
        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, Fabrizio Santoro <fsantoro91@...> wrote:

        > Where can I seriously find informations, books or materials on the
        > Net to start learning Norse? I've already printed
        > http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/%c2%a0lessons..

        <http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/norol-TC-X.html>

        Brian
      • Gabriel Oliva Brum
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 14, 2011
          Hi,

          There's also the excelent Viking Society for Northern Research website with PDFs to many of its publications (most all of it, actually): http://vsnrweb-publications.org.uk/

          Besides translations, editions of original texts and studies, there's also material to learn Old Norse. Just scroll down to the "A New Introduction to Old Norse" section, where you can download a grammar, a reader, a glossary, and facsimiles.

          Gabriel

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 15, 2011
            Thanks to all guys.. :) Now I have only to find the TIME to study all this amazing stuff.. :D
            Anyone of you knows something in particular about Greenlandic Norse or related Faroese Norse dialects?

            Thanks again for the information :)

            Greetings from Italy
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 15, 2011
              At 11:35:43 AM on Thursday, April 14, 2011, Gabriel Oliva
              Brum wrote:

              > There's also the excelent Viking Society for Northern
              > Research website with PDFs to many of its publications
              > (most all of it, actually):
              > http://vsnrweb-publications.org.uk/

              > Besides translations, editions of original texts and
              > studies, there's also material to learn Old Norse. Just
              > scroll down to the "A New Introduction to Old Norse"
              > section, where you can download a grammar, a reader, a
              > glossary, and facsimiles.

              Thank you; I bought the grammar, reader, and glossary as
              printed books some time ago and hadn't realized that they'd
              been made available online as well. Michael Barnes's
              grammar is a very nice introduction that hits most of the
              common difficulties, and the glossary, while not very
              extensive, does occasionally mention usages not found in
              Cleasby & Vigfusson or Zoëga.

              Brian
            • Mark Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
                Dear Fabrizio,
                I you don't mind me asking, where in Italy do you live?  I am one half Italian.  My maternal great grandparents came from  (I think it is Salerno or Palermo).  One is on the island of Sicily and the other is pretty much around the south west part of Italy.  I always get those two names mixed up.

                Forgive me.  Let me properly introduce myself.  My name is Mark Smith.  My mothers maiden name was Esposito.  I just joined norse_course as well as Mead Hall.  So, I have Italian as well as German blood in me.  German is from my father's side of the family.  I believe that the more specific origin would be Pennsylvania Dutch.  Dutch not being as in the Dutch, but a term which was coined for those germans who helped fight for the british cause in the revolutionary war.  Anbd I guess the term just stuck.

                But that's neither here nor there.  I just don't get much opportunity to say hello to a native Italian.  So greetings!  or Chow!

                Peace,

                Mark Smith

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 17, 2011
                  Dear Mark,
                  probably our ancestors met themselves in the past! Who knows? ;)

                  My mother parents are from NorthEst, but my father parents were born in Apulia.. My surname, in itself, is common in Sicily, Apulia, Campania and Basilicata.. But I was born in Varese, which is one of the further north cities in Lombardy, and now (or, better, since I was 3 years old) I live near Malpensa airport.. :)

                  Take care ;)

                  Fabrizio Santoro

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 17, 2011
                    If you don't mind me asking, do you speak Italaian? I am not one, but I speak it . Any further interest?

                    To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com
                    CC: markjsmith61@...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 17, 2011

                      I believe that Dutch was the common 17th-18th century anglicizing of Deutsch.

                      Scott Catledge

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 18, 2011
                        I believe you are right Scott.   I had forgotten that little bit of needed information when I wrote my very brief biography.

                        Mark Smith

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 18, 2011
                          Just a few slang words I picked up when very young.  My Grandparents argued in their Italian slang.  Words like (forgive my spelling because I don't have a clue how these words are spelled) "Stata-Zeet!" and "Mun un a mia!"  and "Goo-Bella".

                          Well, now that I have everyone in stitches should I go on to describe the hand gestures which accompanied these words?  Well, maybe later.

                          Maybe one day I might take on the challenge of learning Italian; I took some spanish in high school and college but haven't used the language since so no help there!

                          It's just part of me; it's in my blood just as the german ancestry from my father's side of the family is.  Just like the old norse ways and spirituality is.  I've just got to a place in my life that I want to tap into what I am finding to be a truly rich heritage we all share in Norse mythology.

                          Peace

                          Mark

                          If you don't mind me asking, do you speak Italaian? I am not one, but I speak it . Any further interest?

                          To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com
                          CC: markjsmith61@...