Re: [norse_course] Star Wars XIII end - - Grace's translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
      At 4:37:01 PM on Thursday, September 30, 2010, Fred and
      Grace Hatton wrote:

      > "Hvat gagn er í honum?
      > "What uses is (it) to him?

      'What use is in him?', i.e., 'What's he good for?', 'Of what
      use is he?'

      > Ek hefi trúnarðareiða svarna Falfaðni konungi sakir ykkar
      > barns - svá at þit fengið lifat, ok lifat konunglega, sem
      > sómir ykkr.

      > I have sworn oaths to King Palpatine for the sake of your
      > child - so that you will be able to live and live royally
      > as befits you.

      <Ykkar> is dual, 'of you two', and <barns> tells who the
      other one of the two is: 'for the sake of you and [the]
      child'. So are <þit> and <ykkr>: 'so that you two' and 'as
      befits the two of you'.

      > Farirðu með Víga-Óbívan, fyrirspár konungr at þú deyir á
      > Íslandi.

      > Were you to go with Slayer Obiwan,

      Or simply 'If you go'.

      > (the) king's prediction (is) that you die in Iceland.

      <Konungr> is nominative, so it can't be 'king's', and if
      <fyrirspár> is from the noun <fyrirspá> 'prophecy,
      prediction', it must be nom. or acc. plural. These pieces
      just don't fit together in this sentence, so we need to look
      for another source for <fyrirspár>. Zoëga and CV don't have
      entries for it, but there's a verb <fyrirspá> 'to foresee'
      that's basically just an extension of the verb <spá>, and
      <fyrirspár> is the 3rd person present indicative, just
      what's needed with <konungr> as subject: '[the] king
      foresees that you die in Iceland'.

      > Komdu undan nú!
      > You come down now!

      All of the <X-an> directional adverbs are 'from X'; in
      particular, <undan> is 'from under', not 'down', so this is
      literally 'come from under now'. However, it's actually an
      idiom, 'escape now'. Neither Z. nor CV has it exactly, but
      Z. has <koma e-m undan> 'to help one to escape' and <komast
      undan> 'to escape'. There's also <flýja undan e-m> 'to flee
      from someone'. I honestly don't know whether an exact model
      for Jackson's usage can be found in the sagas, or whether
      he's made a straightforward extension of these usages.

      > ... ok allir þar undruðusk þenna seið, ...
      > ... and all those were amazed at that magic ...

      <Þenna> is the proximal demonstrative: 'this magic'.