Corrupted Characters

  • rob13567
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
      When I read Brian's notes about the latest Laxdaela section, instead of
      Icelandic characters, I see corrupted text as in: ráðagerð. I
      tested on two separate PCs running different Internet browsers, and both
      showed the strange characters.

      Any ideas as to how to fix? The other messages on the forum appear with
      the correct Icelandic characters....

      Thank you.

      Rob
    • bmscotttg
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "rob13567" <nielsenjava@...>
        wrote:

        > When I read Brian's notes about the latest Laxdaela section,
        > instead of Icelandic characters, I see corrupted text as in:
        > ráðagerð. I tested on two separate PCs running different
        > Internet browsers, and both showed the strange characters.

        > Any ideas as to how to fix?

        In Firefox click on 'View'; go to 'Character Encoding' in the
        drop-down menu, and set the encoding to 'Unicode (UTF-8)'. I
        don't use IE, but I just fired up whatever (probably oldish)
        version is on this machine; on it you want the 'Page' menu, and
        within it 'Encoding'. (If you use Opera, or Chrome, or any
        Mac-specific browser, you're on your own!)

        I recently upgraded my e-mail client and set the new version to
        post in UTF-8 by default. My older posts sent via e-mail were
        in ISO-8859-1; Yahoo Groups uses this as its default, so it
        handled them fine, but it isn't bright enough to read headers
        and therefore louses up the default display of other encodings.
        Of course any posts that I send via the web interface -- like
        this one -- will be encoded in ISO-8859-1. (Test: <ráðagerð>
        should show up normally here.) But I don't like web interfaces,
        so I mostly will be posting in UTF-8, unless it's a real problem
        for someone.

        Brian
      • rob13567
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2010
          Yes, that does the trick with Firefox! Thank you.