Re: [norse_course] Star Wars XII part 2 - - Grace's translation

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
      At 12:36:56 PM on Friday, August 13, 2010, Fred and Grace
      Hatton wrote:

      > er Plagueis hét?"
      > who is called Plagueis?"

      Tiny glitch: <hét> is past tense, 'was called'.

      > "Þat mér þóttisk líkligast," segir konungr, "Því at þá
      > sögu vildi engi maðr frá Jeðifjörðum segja frá.

      > "It seems to me most likely," says (the) king, "because
      > that tale no man of the Jedi Firths wanted to speak of.

      <Þóttisk> is also past tense; you can tell because <þótti>
      is. <Vildi> could be either indicative, as you've
      translated it, or subjunctive, making it 'because no man
      from the Jedi Fjords would tell that tale'. In context the
      subjunctive reading seems to make a little more sense.

      > Plagueis varð svá máttugr, at hann óttaðisk þetta eitt, at
      > hann tapaði mættinum.

      > Plaguies became so mighty that he was afraid of this one
      > (thing), that he lost (his) powers.

      Or 'that he feared only this, that ...'. There's no way to
      tell from the form, but it's conceivable that <tapaði> is a
      subjunctive here, since we're talking about a hypothetical
      event.

      > "Sá konungr, er vill verða víss ok víðlendr,

      > "That king, who will become wise and (ruler over?) wide
      > lands,

      <Víðlendr> 'having extensive lands', literally
      'wide-landed'; it's in Zoëga, hiding in the entry for
      <víðleikr>. I see that Jackson translates it here as
      'wide-ruling', which sounds good to me.

      > drekkr þat allt er má frá Urðar brunni,"
      > drinks it all which (he?) may from Urdr's well,"

      Yes.

      > Ek veit hvar Óðinn veðit fólgit.
      > where where Odin hid ??.

      <Veðit> is <veð> 'a pledge, a surety' with the neuter
      definite article: 'the pledge', to be understood here as
      'his pledge'. (We've seen on a number of occasions that ON
      sometimes uses the definite article where we'd use a
      possessive pronoun to indicate a definite entity.) The
      sentence does seem to be missing an auxiliary verb to go
      with the past participle <fólgit>, though; I'd have expected
      <hvar Óðinn hafði veðit fólgit>, or perhaps <hvar Óðinn hefr
      veðit fólgit>.

      > Drekkirðu þaðan, verðirðu sterkari en er nakkvarr
      > Jeðifjarðamaðr.

      > You drink thence, be you stronger that is another Jedi
      > Firth man.

      Here <nakkvarr> is 'any': stronger than any man of the Jedi
      Fjords.