Thanks, Brian!

  • Fred and Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 31, 2010
      Thanks, Brian! I thought "of" was an alternate spelling of "af". Small
      wonder I didn't get anywhere with it.
      Grace

      > langfaðir hans,
      > his grandfather,

      <Langfaðir> is actually any male ancestor on the father's
      side.

      > "Þú ert orðinn of nær konungi, ok Jeðifjarðamenn trúa eigi
      > á hann.

      > "You have become ? near (the) king and Jedi Firth men do
      > not trust him.

      This is the adverb <of> 'too', the fourth <of> entry in
      Zoëga: <of nær> is 'too near'.

      > "Heldr eigi hefi ek gleymt, at vit unnum eið Kvæggani
      > deyjanda, at vit hefnim hans.

      > "I have rather not forgotten that we performed an oath
      > (over the) dying Kvaeggan, that we avenge him.

      I think that <heldr> here actually has the sense of <né
      heldr> 'neither'. Assuming that <vinna eið> follows the
      same syntax as <sverja eið>, the dative <Kvæggani> marks the
      person to whom the oath is sworn: 'Neither have I forgotten
      that we swore an oath to [the] dying Kvæggan ...'.

      > En ek em bundinn nú á hendi konungi.
      > But I am bound now ?? to (the) king.

      See Zoëga s.v. <binda> (5): <bindask á hendi konungim> 'to
      bind oneself to serve a king'. Here we have a passive
      rather than the <-sk> form, but it's clearly the same idiom:
      'But I am now bound to serve the king', i.e., I'm now the
      king's retainer.

      Brian

      Fred and Grace Hatton
      Hawley Pa
      Message 83 of 83 , Jun 23, 2011
        At 7:24:40 AM on Thursday, June 23, 2011, Fred & Grace
        Hatton wrote:

        > Thank you for all your help with Laxdaela Saga and Star
        > Wars!

        It's very much my pleasure; it helps me keep my hand in, and
        I've learned a great deal from working on the tricky bits.