thanks, Alan!

  • Fred and Grace Hatton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
      Thanks for sorting out the places I had problems.
      Grace

      Þeir Ásgautur og Þórólfur voru komnir í svo mikinn klofa
      They, Ásgautr and Þórolfr were (had) come into such a great straights
      (ie in a tight-spot (metaphorical here, I think), were caught in a trap,
      see klofa, Z1),

      báðum megin en gengin (ganga) upp
      both sides but (and the river was) swollen-with-ice (see ganga upp, Z15)

      sýndist (sýnast) þeim áin óyfirfærileg (úyfirfæriligr).
      the-river seemed to them impassable (not-over-convey-able).

      allra manna gisting.
      accomodation for all men (persons).

      til halds og trausts
      for support and protection

      Fred and Grace Hatton
      Hawley Pa
    • Fred and Grace Hatton
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2010
        Thanks for sorting out the idioms I missed in the last section of Laxdaela
        Saga.
        Grace
        Fred and Grace Hatton
        Hawley Pa