Icelandic; Norwegian;

  • g-tegle@online.no
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2001
      Hi there,

      My name is Stein Håvard Frølandshagen. I am a 17 yrs. old Norwegian
      student. I have studied English and German at school. I have also
      studied the morphological structure of nominals and verbs in Old
      Norse and if there is any interest among the group members I might
      find the time to provide new lessons until the moderators return. I
      am in possession of two Old Norse grammars and a Norse-Norwegian
      dictionary. A teacher with a major in Old Norse at my school might
      assist me with difficulties. Since my own language is a descendant of
      Old Norse I understand much of Norse texts without having a
      dictionary at hand.

      I am currently working on a comparative Norwegian grammar which I
      will publish over the internet. A new Norwegian grammar with an
      untraditional view is needed because the old ones are to heavily
      influenced by the language. In Norway language is a political issue.
      I have just opened the Norwegianlanguage discussion list where
      excerpts of the grammar can be found at the files section. I will try
      answer questions, I have not planned any lessons yet.

      I have taken part in discussion groups on linguistics, such as the
      Cybalist and the Linguistics discussion group. My prime interests in
      linguistics are morphology and syntax.

      I will try to find time to make a draft to an Old Norse lesson, and
      give it to you all here for evaluation. I have access to Internet at
      home and at my school.

      Best regards,

      Håvard
    • g-tegle@online.no
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15, 2001
        --- In norse_course@y..., g-tegle@o... wrote:

        > I am currently working on a comparative Norwegian grammar which I
        > will publish over the internet. A new Norwegian grammar with an
        > untraditional view is needed because the old ones are to heavily
        > influenced by the language. In Norway language is a political issue.
        > I have just opened the Norwegianlanguage discussion list where
        > excerpts of the grammar can be found at the files section. I will
        try
        > answer questions, I have not planned any lessons yet.

        The address is

        it is listed in the linguistics directory.

        Håvard
      • gfross2001@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2001
          --- In norse_course@y..., g-tegle@o... wrote:
          > > I have just opened the Norwegianlanguage discussion list where
          > > excerpts of the grammar can be found at the files section. I will
          > try
          > > answer questions, I have not planned any lessons yet.
          > Håvard

          Hei, Haavard --

          Since there is already a Yahoo group devoted to the discussion of
          modern Norwegian (norskklassen), I was wondering why you had decided
          to start another one.

          I wish you luck in your plans to prepare lessons in Old Norse.
          However, expertise in the morphology and syntax of a language differs
          completely from expertise in modern language pedagogy and the writing
          of course materials for adults.

          In any case, I wish you alt det beste --

          Gordon
        • g-tegle@online.no
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 16, 2001
            --- In norse_course@y..., gfross2001@y... wrote:

            > Hei, Haavard --
            >
            > Since there is already a Yahoo group devoted to the discussion of
            > modern Norwegian (norskklassen), I was wondering why you had
            decided
            > to start another one.
            >
            > I wish you luck in your plans to prepare lessons in Old Norse.
            > However, expertise in the morphology and syntax of a language
            differs
            > completely from expertise in modern language pedagogy and the
            writing
            > of course materials for adults.
            >
            > In any case, I wish you alt det beste --
            >
            > Gordon

            Could you please name the address for this mailing list? The eGroups
            linguistics search engine seems to be out of function.

            From what I have understood this group are for those who wish to
            learn Norwegian. My intentions are to give a rather scientific view
            on the language. In the files section I will provide essays on
            grammatical elements that aren't given any explanation in grammars on
            the Norwegian language. I will also write etymologies where I will
            trace many verbs back to the Proto-IndoEuropean language. My views
            are in general untraditional. This way, I will try to start a
            discussion questioning the current trends in the Norwegian
            authorities language policy. I will provide a description on the
            Norwegian language from a neutral basis.

            Regards,

            Håvard
          • Selvarv Stigard
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16, 2001
              Either Håvard or Gordon wrote (sorry, I lost track):
              >From what I have understood this group are for those who wish to
              >learn Norwegian. My intentions are to give a rather scientific view
              >on the language. In the files section I will provide essays on
              >grammatical elements that aren't given any explanation in grammars on
              >the Norwegian language. I will also write etymologies where I will
              >trace many verbs back to the Proto-IndoEuropean language. My views
              >are in general untraditional. This way, I will try to start a
              >discussion questioning the current trends in the Norwegian
              >authorities language policy. I will provide a description on the
              >Norwegian language from a neutral basis.

              Well, this group is for those who are learning Old Norse, or in some cases,
              just enjoying Old Norse by keeping our skills in practice...

              However, I administrate several majordomo lists, and one of them, while it
              has a tendency to be fairly inactive for long stretches of time, the dozen
              people already there would welcome posts such as you describe. I can send
              subscription info for NordStudie to anyone who's interested - it has a
              broader subject matter than simply learning the language, although
              linguistic posts are completely on-topic.

              -Selv

              --
              Selvårv Stigård
              selvarv@...