RE: [norse_course] ON Diminutive Personal Names

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2010

      Someone mentioned “Bikki” as a Norse name but I do not recall seeing it.  Is it a diminutive

      of some name?

      N. Scott Catledge

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2010
        At 10:56:26 AM on Tuesday, February 9, 2010, Scott wrote:

        > Someone mentioned "Bikki" as a Norse name but I do not
        > recall seeing it. Is it a diminutive of some name?

        It occurs in 'Guðrúnarhvöt', which in Guðni Jónsson's
        edition can be found at
        <http://www.heimskringla.no/wiki/Gu%C3%B0r%C3%BAnarhv%C3%B6t>,
        and in 'Völsunga saga', available as edited by G.J. and
        Bjarni Vilhjálmsson at
        <http://www.heimskringla.no/wiki/V%C3%B6lsunga_saga>, as the
        malicious adviser of Jörmunrekr. The OE <Becca> in
        'Widsith' is apparently the same character, and I gather
        that there is a corresponding character in 'Þiðreks saga af
        Bern' who is named <Sifka>, corresponding to MHG <Sibeche>,
        <Sibich>. According to de Vries, <Bikki> is generally
        understood to be derived from the German name. The OE name
        is also in record as <Bicca>.

        In principle <Bikki> could also be an original byname, a
        masculine form of <bikkja> 'bitch'; I believe that this
        would work for OE as well (masc. *bicca beside fem. <bicce>
        'bitch').

        Brian
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2010

          Takk skal De  or Thank you, if my Norse is wrong.