Icelandic Calendar

  • Timothy N. T. Stridmann
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2001
      Excuse me very much, may I ask you about Old Icelandic calendar
      here? :-)

      I tried to collect some info about it and put all this on my page
      there (page is in russian, though):
      http://norse.narod.ru/articles/calendar.html

      And I've found that winter begins in Saturday between 21 and 27
      October in one sources and that year begins in Saturday between
      11 and 17 October in the another.

      Who can you tell me, where is this difference from?
      May be, it's from difference between Gregorian and Julian calendars?

      And when will be ready 2nd chapter??? :-))) Haukur? Oskar?

      Anyway, thank you very much!!!

      Tim Stridmann
    • gwiddon8@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3, 2001
        Arghhhh! I wish I read Russian. Is there anyway, with Timothy's
        permission we could get a translation of this calendar into English---

        Also, I have started the course over since I did so poorly in lesson
        5 so I too await the new chapter 2.

        Regards

        Alice

        In norse_course@y..., "Timothy N. T. Stridmann" <termolaev@y...>
        wrote:
        > Excuse me very much, may I ask you about Old Icelandic calendar
        > here? :-)
        >
        > I tried to collect some info about it and put all this on my page
        > there (page is in russian, though):
        > http://norse.narod.ru/articles/calendar.html
        >
        > And I've found that winter begins in Saturday between 21 and 27
        > October in one sources and that year begins in Saturday between
        > 11 and 17 October in the another.
        >
        > Who can you tell me, where is this difference from?
        > May be, it's from difference between Gregorian and Julian calendars?
        >
        > And when will be ready 2nd chapter??? :-))) Haukur? Oskar?
        >
        > Anyway, thank you very much!!!
        >
        > Tim Stridmann
      • parry morton
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2001
          Ya hi Timothy, Parry Morton Here in U.S.A. I'm new to this Norse Course.
          You need to check with the others on this subject. Best Wishes Parry.

          >From: "Timothy N. T. Stridmann" <termolaev@...>
          >To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [norse_course] Icelandic Calendar
          >Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 11:40:47 -0000
          >
          >Excuse me very much, may I ask you about Old Icelandic calendar
          >here? :-)
          >
          >I tried to collect some info about it and put all this on my page
          >there (page is in russian, though):
          >http://norse.narod.ru/articles/calendar.html
          >
          >And I've found that winter begins in Saturday between 21 and 27
          >October in one sources and that year begins in Saturday between
          >11 and 17 October in the another.
          >
          >Who can you tell me, where is this difference from?
          >May be, it's from difference between Gregorian and Julian calendars?
          >
          >And when will be ready 2nd chapter??? :-))) Haukur? Oskar?
          >
          >Anyway, thank you very much!!!
          >
          >Tim Stridmann

        • Óskar Guðlaugsson
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2001
            Heil öll,

            > And when will be ready 2nd chapter??? :-))) Haukur? Oskar?
            >
            > Anyway, thank you very much!!!

            Good question, and thanks for the thanks :)

            Currently, it's just not looking too good. The problem is, we don't
            have the a) time, b) devotion/spirit to continue right now. We made
            an application for funding for the project, but someone else got that
            funding. We're both studying, so exams will be coming soon. Hate to
            give whining excuses, but that's the situation.

            Currently, I don't want to give any promises. I hope that we'll be
            able to start our work here again this summer, but I can't predict
            how it will be; we'll be working full time in summer. The problem is,
            these kind of things hardly work out without some financial support,
            which we're not getting; so that's where it's stranded :(

            Sorry to disappoint all of you. The lessons we have written will of
            course remain there; I hope we've contributed, and helped you get
            started on this subject. When we do find the time and longing to get
            back to this, I promise you that we will :)

            Regards,
            Óskar
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2001
              Hello there,

              It would be disappointing if the project were to end in such
              disarray as it is. Hopefully we will have renewed energy this
              summer.

              The mailing list will continue to be open for general discussion
              on the norse languages.

              Regards,
              Haukur
            • Hild
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2001
                Selvarv Stigard wrote:

                > Lavrans asked:
                > >WHat would you suggest as a Font? 'm not getting the th and dh letters.
                >
                > it looks like you're using a version of MacOS which is missing the eth,
                > thorn and accented y, so you have two main options:
                >
                > 1. This is the most complete, but also the most work - go to
                > http://www.apple.is/dl/ and download the Sta?færsla package for the
                > appropriate version of MacOS. This will update your OS to
                > Icelandic-compatible settings, including correcting all the built-in
                > fonts. However, you will then need to go through all your control panels
                > and change your time zone, language, keyboard layout, etc, etc, etc, back
                > to US settings.

                And what if i have another system working along wit the English one?

                > 2. Just download some Mac fonts which have those characters and use those
                > fonts to read your email and those web pages which use Icelandic
                > characters. A good URL for such fonts is
                > http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/oe-fonts.html

                Aaaand i'll try this one :)
                Brunnhild

                "...much he neglects, the man who sleeps in the
                mornings,
                WEALTH IS HALF-WON BY THE VIGOROUS."
                Havamal-59
              • Lavrans
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2001

                  --
                  In Frith and Troth
                  Lavrans Reimer-Møller
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2001
                    Lavrans asked:

                    http://www.apple.is/dl/ and download the Staðfærsla package for the
                    appropriate version of MacOS. This will update your OS to
                    Icelandic-compatible settings, including correcting all the built-in
                    fonts. However, you will then need to go through all your control panels
                    and change your time zone, language, keyboard layout, etc, etc, etc, back
                    to US settings.

                    2. Just download some Mac fonts which have those characters and use those
                    fonts to read your email and those web pages which use Icelandic
                    characters. A good URL for such fonts is
                    http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/oe-fonts.html

                    -Selv

                    --
                    Selvårv Stigård
                    selvarv@...
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2001
                      Oh, Alice, I am sorry. :-) But my English is not so good as I want.
                      But I'll try here to translate some part of my page...

                      http://norse.narod.ru/articles/calendar.html

                      Well, I wrote that old scandinavian calendar based on whole weeks,
                      but "leap weeks" were inserted in some years.
                      Next - that that winter begins in Saturday between 21 and 27 October
                      in one sources and in Saturday between 11 and 17 October in the
                      another.
                      Below - ON names of months (some of them I took from the Snorra
                      Edda), their translation to russian and corresponding months in
                      Gregorian calendar:

                      VETR - WINTER
                      gormánuðr - month 'gor' - oct-nov
                      frermánuðr eða ýlir - frosty month or ??? - nov-dec
                      hrútmánuðr eða mörsugr - ram month or ??? - dec-jan
                      þorri - thorri - jan-feb
                      gói - goi - feb-mar
                      einmánuðr - solitary month - mar-apr
                      SUMAR - SUMMER
                      gaukmánuðr ok sáðtíð eða harpa - cuckoo month and sowing time or ??? -
                      apr-may
                      eggtíð ok stekktíð eða skerpla - egg time and calfs pasture time
                      or ??? - may-jun
                      sólmánuðr ok selmánuðr - sun month and ??? - jun-jul
                      heyannir eða ormamánuðr - haymaking or snakes month - jul-aug
                      kornskurðarmánuðr eða tvímánuðr - harvest month or double month - aug-
                      sep
                      haustmánuðr - autumn month - sep-oct

                      Below - the names of days of weak, and some names relating to time.
                      And at the end - the names of some catolics and folk days...

                      Excuse me very much if I've translated something wrongly... Just
                      correct me :-)))))
                    • Selvarv Stigard
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2001
                        Lavrans asked:
                        >>>WHat would you suggest as a Font? 'm not getting the th and dh letters.

                        I replied:
                        >>it looks like you're using a version of MacOS which is missing the eth,
                        >>thorn and accented y, so you have two main options:
                        >>
                        >>1. This is the most complete, but also the most work - go to
                        >>http://www.apple.is/dl/ and download the Sta?færsla package for the
                        >>appropriate version of MacOS. This will update your OS to
                        >>Icelandic-compatible settings, including correcting all the built-in
                        >>fonts. However, you will then need to go through all your control panels
                        >>and change your time zone, language, keyboard layout, etc, etc, etc, back
                        >>to US settings.

                        Brunnhild asked:
                        >And what if i have another system working along wit the English one?

                        I'm not entirely certain what you mean - that may be because while I may be
                        a tech who administrates servers and tries to find and fix their long-term
                        problems, that's all on Unix systems. I use Mac and Windoze to connect to
                        those servers, but I don't play with the guts of those machines much, I
                        just have learned how to use them as necessary. I found the Icelandic
                        patch for MacOS and installed it (it adds the eth, thorn and accented y to
                        every default font, after all...), and then received several days of
                        teasing from my wife as I slowly found every little system setting
                        configured for someone in Iceland....

                        >>2. Just download some Mac fonts which have those characters and use those
                        >>fonts to read your email and those web pages which use Icelandic
                        >>characters. A good URL for such fonts is
                        >>http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/oe/oe-fonts.html

                        >Aaaand i'll try this one :)

                        I don't blame you - I actually did both, but I'm a font junkie and like
                        having hundreds of fonts for all occasions, and installing the Icelandic
                        package for MacOS was the only way to correct the default fonts - the idea
                        of having lots of funky fonts, but only two standard fonts, with Icelandic
                        characters was a bit annoying - I didn't want to write everything in Times,
                        Kermit-A, or a hard-to-read decorative font.

                        -Selv, wondering if there are any other Mac users benefitting from this...

                        --
                        Selvårv Stigård
                        selvarv@...
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2001
                          Hi Timothy,

                          This was very kind of you. You have done a lot of research and work on
                          this. Thank you for sharing it with us. Since I don't know a bit of
                          Russian I certainly can not find fault with your English.

                          In Gods and Myths or Northern Europe, H. R. Ellis Davidson says that
                          the Old winter period started around October 14th, which falls into
                          the 11-17 period you mentioned.
                          She also mentions that they had really onlt two main celebratory
                          seasons, Winter solstice and Summer Solstice with perhaps smaller
                          festivals in between those.

                          Any more information on the year you can post is appreciated

                          -
                          > apr-may
                          > eggtíð ok stekktíð eða skerpla - egg time and calfs pasture time
                          > or ??? - may-jun
                          > sólmánuðr ok selmánuðr - sun month and ??? - jun-jul
                          > heyannir eða ormamánuðr - haymaking or snakes month - jul-aug
                          > kornskurðarmánuðr eða tvímánuðr - harvest month or double month -
                          aug-
                          > sep
                          > haustmánuðr - autumn month - sep-oct
                          >
                          > Below - the names of days of weak, and some names relating to time.
                          > And at the end - the names of some catolics and folk days...
                          >
                          > Excuse me very much if I've translated something wrongly... Just
                          > correct me :-)))))
                        • Arlie Stephens
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 6, 2001
                            On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 02:12:13PM +0000, Haukur Thorgeirsson wrote:

                            > Hello there,
                            >
                            > It would be disappointing if the project were to end in such
                            > disarray as it is. Hopefully we will have renewed energy this
                            > summer.

                            Well, we'll still be here if/when you do have time for this.

                            And what you've done so far has gotten me, at least, to the point
                            where I can continue to learn from books etc., rather than feeling
                            completely overwhelmed.

                            > The mailing list will continue to be open for general discussion
                            > on the norse languages.

                            I suppose I should post occasionally...

                            Gratefully,

                            --
                            Arlie

                            (Arlie Stephens arlie@...)
                          • keth@online.no
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 7, 2001
                              Selv wrote :
                              >-Selv, wondering if there are any other Mac users benefitting from this...

                              Hi Selv! I am a Mac user too. And I didn't know that you could download
                              Mac OS from Iceland. I'll certainly have to look into that.

                              The problem with Mac fonts has been that you need them to work on the
                              printer too - not just on the screen. There is one Mac font that is quite
                              useful, and it is called "Mac ISO Latin-1", or something close to that.
                              I have it in my "fonts folder" and I can use it to look as "iso" files
                              (to see them written with the chars they were originally written)
                              But when I try to print the file, the letters come out all jagged.
                              Obviously the font has only been designed for screen usage.

                              There are however two other fonts that I use all the time.
                              They are called ONtimes and ONcourier, and I use them all the
                              time. They are "suitcase-fonts", and each "suitcase" contains
                              a complete set of pixel sizes for the screen + true-type or
                              postscript (I forget which) for the printer. Thus these fonts
                              come as units (=suitcases) and are thus easy to keep track of
                              and quick to move from one place to another.

                              I don't know if they are the same as Lucy Ball's, but they might be!

                              The characters look exactly like normal Times and Courier, except
                              for two or three, which are "edh", "thorn" as well as "y" with
                              a forward accent on top of it.

                              alt-shift 3 = Ð
                              alt-shift 4 = ð
                              alt-shift 5 = Þ
                              alt-shift 6 = þ
                              alt-shift 7 = ý
                              alt-t = Ý

                              What I miss very much is however the "o-with-a-twig".
                              The "o-with-two-dots" that you sometimes see used,
                              has nothiong to do with Old Norse. It was imported
                              to Iceland from Germany sometime in the 16th century.

                              Best regards
                              Keth
                            • keth@online.no
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 7, 2001
                                Alice & Timothy wrote :

                                >Hi Timothy,
                                >
                                >This was very kind of you. You have done a lot of research and work on
                                >this. Thank you for sharing it with us. Since I don't know a bit of
                                >Russian I certainly can not find fault with your English.
                                >
                                >In Gods and Myths or Northern Europe, H. R. Ellis Davidson says that
                                > the Old winter period started around October 14th, which falls into
                                >the 11-17 period you mentioned.
                                >She also mentions that they had really onlt two main celebratory
                                >seasons, Winter solstice and Summer Solstice with perhaps smaller
                                >festivals in between those.
                                >
                                >Any more information on the year you can post is appreciated
                                >
                                >Regards,
                                >
                                >Alice

                                The old Anglo-Saxon calendar is also interesting.
                                Perhaps you would like to compare the calendar
                                that you posted, with the Anglo-Saxon one ?

                                >- In norse_course@y..., "Timothy N. T. Stridmann" <termolaev@y...>
                                >wrote:
                                >> Oh, Alice, I am sorry. :-) But my English is not so good as I want.
                                >> But I'll try here to translate some part of my page...
                                >>
                                >> http://norse.narod.ru/articles/calendar.html
                                >>
                                >> Well, I wrote that old scandinavian calendar based on whole weeks,
                                >> but "leap weeks" were inserted in some years.
                                >> Next - that that winter begins in Saturday between 21 and 27 October
                                >> in one sources and in Saturday between 11 and 17 October in the

                                I notice that the variation amounts to exactly a week (7 days).
                                That would correspond to a week-based calendar (7-day cycle)
                                so that (say) winter always began on the same week-day each year.

                                The 11-day displacement (11 -> 21 and 17 -> 27) corresponds
                                to the 11-day adjustment that took place when one switched from
                                the julian to the gregorian calendar.

                                >> another.
                                >> Below - ON names of months (some of them I took from the Snorra
                                >> Edda), their translation to russian and corresponding months in
                                >> Gregorian calendar:
                                >>
                                >> VETR - WINTER
                                >> gormánuðr - month 'gor' - oct-nov
                                >> frermánuðr eða ýlir - frosty month or ??? - nov-dec
                                >> hrútmánuðr eða mörsugr - ram month or ??? - dec-jan
                                >> þorri - thorri - jan-feb
                                >> gói - goi - feb-mar
                                >> einmánuðr - solitary month - mar-apr
                                >> SUMAR - SUMMER
                                >> gaukmánuðr ok sáðtíð eða harpa - cuckoo month and sowing time or ???

                                I don't know if these month-names were also used in Norway before
                                the Church introduced the julian calendar. One thing one might ask
                                is how far North the cuckoo occurs. It is a migratory bird that
                                stays in the Scandinavia only a short time. In South Norway it arrives
                                during the first weeks of May, and leaves again in August to spend
                                the winter in Africa. (some fly all the way to South Africa)
                                And although it is described as a bird that belongs to the temperate
                                zone, it does occur as far North as Finnmark, which is quite a way
                                beyond the Polar Circle. The reason must be the combination of the
                                Gulf Straem with the long summer nights, that causes the Northern
                                summer nights to be quite attractive. However, summer comes late in
                                Finnmark, and the cucckoo sometimes doesn't arrive there before in June.
                                (otherwise late May).
                                This means that april-may is a bit early for the month called
                                "gaukmánaðr". The explanation might simply lie in the 11 days
                                that were skipped during the switch to the Gregorian calendar.
                                In fact, it is known that during the Middle Ages, when the Julian
                                calendar was used, winter solstice occurred around December 13th,
                                and in consequence spring equinox would have occurrred earlier
                                by the same number of days. That also means that the cuckoo
                                must have arrived 11 days earlier than it does now, which would
                                place its arrival in South Norway to the end of April. And that makes
                                sense, for only in that way can the month that begins middle April
                                and ends in middle May, deserve its name.

                                >> apr-may
                                >> eggtíð ok stekktíð eða skerpla - egg time and calfs pasture time
                                >> or ??? - may-jun
                                >> sólmánuðr ok selmánuðr - sun month and ??? - jun-jul

                                I have "sól-mánaðr", but also "selmánaðr".
                                From middle June till middle July.
                                (from seal?)

                                >> heyannir eða ormamánuðr - haymaking or snakes month - jul-aug

                                That is also very appropriate, since the grass is cut and dried
                                during that month. "heyo,nn" refers to all the work it is to get
                                the hay into the barn. The farmer also hopes it doesn't rain,
                                since he must have the hay dry before it is taken inside.
                                "ormr" must refer to the adders that abound during that period.
                                But I could not find that name for that month in the dictionary.
                                Where did you find it ? What I did find was "ormabani" as a
                                poetic expression for "winter", and "ormaglæði" as a poetic
                                expression for summer. But I have no idea what poets used such kennings.

                                >> kornskurðarmánuðr eða tvímánuðr - harvest month or double month -
                                >aug-
                                >> sep
                                >> haustmánuðr - autumn month - sep-oct
                                >>
                                >> Below - the names of days of weak, and some names relating to time.
                                >> And at the end - the names of some catolics and folk days...
                                >>
                                >> Excuse me very much if I've translated something wrongly... Just
                                >> correct me :-)))))

                                You translated to Russian ? Help ! I couldn't be of any assistance with that.

                                Best regards

                                Keth
                              • Tim Stridmann
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 8, 2001
                                  Hi Keth! And hi all! :-)

                                  > The old Anglo-Saxon calendar is also interesting.
                                  > Perhaps you would like to compare the calendar
                                  > that you posted, with the Anglo-Saxon one ?

                                  Yes, I would like to compare them. :-) Please...

                                  And thank you very much for your comments... May be I put them on my
                                  page.
                                  Well, the sources of the month names I took here:
                                  1) Snorra Edda (I have Old Norse and Russian version of it)
                                  2) Site of Jón Júlíus Filippusson:
                                  http://home.online.no/~jonjf/kalender.htm
                                  I do not know Norwegian, so I took only names from there, and I do
                                  not know about accuracy of this source, though... (Don't call me
                                  silly, ok? ;-)))

                                  > You translated to Russian ? Help !

                                  Oh, no-no! I have russian site and tried to translate my calendar
                                  page to English for you here. :-) You've seen this yet.

                                  My best wishes,
                                  Tim
                                • keth@online.no
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 9, 2001
                                    Hi Tim!
                                    >Hi Keth! And hi all! :-)
                                    >
                                    >> The old Anglo-Saxon calendar is also interesting.
                                    >> Perhaps you would like to compare the calendar
                                    >> that you posted, with the Anglo-Saxon one ?
                                    >
                                    >Yes, I would like to compare them. :-) Please...
                                    >
                                    >And thank you very much for your comments... May be I put them on my
                                    >page.
                                    Sure. But maybe you should edit it, so that it fits in with
                                    the rest.

                                    >Well, the sources of the month names I took here:
                                    >1) Snorra Edda (I have Old Norse and Russian version of it)
                                    Aha! Yes, that is one of the sources of the month names.
                                    There is another one that is not es well known as the Edda,
                                    which differs slightly from Snorri.

                                    >I do not know Norwegian, so I took only names from there, and I do
                                    >not know about accuracy of this source, though... (Don't call me
                                    >silly, ok? ;-)))
                                    You always have to watch out for spelling errors, especially on
                                    the web, because quite often things are published without
                                    proof-reading. (good and patient proof readers are hard to find)

                                    >> You translated to Russian ? Help !
                                    >
                                    >Oh, no-no! I have russian site and tried to translate my calendar
                                    >page to English for you here. :-) You've seen this yet.
                                    No, I didn't log in yet. I use mostly email.
                                    (web is too slow, especially the graphics I hate :(

                                    About the calendar of the Anglo-Saxons (or maybe it was just the
                                    Angles), I recall reading that the years usually had 12 months,
                                    but every third year or so (c.f. the approximate 3-year Lunar cycle)
                                    they inserted a 13th month. However, contrary to what most people
                                    seem to think, the extra month was not inserted in-between the winter
                                    months, but in-between the summer months.

                                    (my own note: this actually makes sense, because it would artificially
                                    lengthen the summer season, perhaps a bit like we like to artificially
                                    lengthen the summer days by using "daylight saving time".)

                                    Quotes from an earlier post:

                                    I also found a table of the English months, according
                                    to which they had the following names:

                                    1. Giuli 7. Litha
                                    2. Solmonath 8. Weodmonath
                                    3. Hrethmonath 9. Halegmonath
                                    4. Eosturmonath 10. Winterfilleth
                                    5. Trimilchi 11. Blodmonath
                                    6. Litha 12. Giuli

                                    Two months were called Giuli (in our system January and December).
                                    There were also two summer months that had equal names. These
                                    correspond to *our* June and July. Apparently, when they inserted
                                    a thirteenth month in order to adjust the calendar, it was inserted
                                    in between the two summer months that are called "Litha".

                                    Does any one have etymologies for these month names?

                                    Note also, how German the names sound.
                                    (cf.modern German "Monat" = month)
                                    Also, around Easter time, there is the month
                                    "Eosturmonath", which is almost exactly like modern
                                    German "Ostermonat". It is actually not a bad idea at
                                    all to look more closely at old English traditions.
                                    That is because the Anglo-Saxons were among the first
                                    to become christianized in Northern Europe. That means that
                                    they also learned the art of writing early on (writing came
                                    with Christianity). Thus we can count on the Anglo-Saxon
                                    traditions that we learn about in the oldest sources, are
                                    much older than the corresponding Norse traditions. What we
                                    see is, however, though I hope to look more closely at that,
                                    the Anglo-Saxon traditions are not exactly the same as the
                                    later Norse traditions. They also seem to differ from what
                                    we find in Tacitus.

                                    Best regards
                                    Keth