Re: vocab

  • nikolai_sandbeck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
      you can say "vel"

      it like english "well" in the sense of good

      "well done!"
    • Schuyler Himberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
        what is the norse word for furred beast?
        Kveðja,
        himberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2009
          At 10:14:15 AM on Thursday, September 3, 2009, Schuyler
          Himberg wrote:

          > what is the norse word for furred beast?

          I don't know that there is one. The basic word for 'an
          animal' is <dýr>, which seems to exclude birds and snakes; I
          don't know whether it would have been applied to any other
          reptile, though I believe that in modern Icelandic it can
          be. Certainly the animals to which it was most commonly
          applied were all furred: the expression <loðin sem dýr>
          'shaggy as an animal' is found in the ON translation of the
          'Epistola Alexandri ad Aristotelem' (Letter of Alexander
          (the Great) to Aristotle).