RE: [norse_course] Re: Njall 130 part 2 / Alan's Translation

  • AThompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
    • AThompson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2009
          >> og eru slíkt heimskir menn sem þú ert

          > But in this case "heimskir menn" is in the nominative, not the
          genitive, so I don't think there is a valid comparison between these
          constructions.

          You're right, it's not exactly the same construction as `margt manna'.
          On the other hand, I still think `slíkt' here would be better
          characterised as an adjective or pronoun than as an adverb. One
          reason is that examples of this sort with `slíkt' can very often by
          paralleled with examples where a pronoun, `þat' or `þetta', is used
          instead.

          (1) a) eru slíkt firn mikil; b) þetta eru firn mikil
          (2) a) og eru slíkt gersimar miklar; b) þetta eru inar mestu gersimar
          (3) a) slíkt eru mikil undr; b) þetta eru mikil undr
          (4) a) slíkt eru in mestu níðingsverk; b) þat er níðingsverk
          (5) a) slikt eru yrkisefni; það er gott yrkisefni (Modern Icelandic
          equivalent offered by CV).

          I don't know of examples like this where `slíkt' could be replaced by
          an indisputable adverb. In these examples, the singular pronoun is
          the subject of the copula, even though `eru' is plural (except in 4.b
          and 5.b), taking its number from the complement. This is typical in
          such constructions where there's a disparity in number between subject
          and predicate nominal.

          (6) þat eru æðar tvær `those are two eiderducks'
          (7) þat eru hrímþursar `those are frost giants'
          (8) þat eru góðar árar `those are good oars'

          (9) þat heita Gleipnisvellir `it's/they're called Gleipnir's Plains'
          (10) þat heita Kolluvísur `they're called Cow's Verses'
          (11) þat heita hof, er goðin eiga `they [those places] are called
          temples which the gods own'