8063Re: Old Norse for 40 seconds

    Apr 4 4:01 AM
      We had a discussion here recently about the complications of saying "I
      like" in Icelandic [
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/norse_course/message/7913 ].

      I wonder if this sentence could be amended to:

      Mér þykkir gaman at ganga á nóttum.

      Compare Ögmundar þáttr dytts: mér þykkir gaman at hafa hálflit klæði
      "I like to wear / enjoy wearing clothes of two colours."

      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@...> wrote:

      > > > This is very recent usage, totally anachronistic.
      > >
      > > I've found such exaples:
      > >
      > > "...elskaði hún hann mjög..." (EYRBYGGJA SAGA)
      > > "...Signý elskaði hann..." (HRANA SAGA HRINGS)
      > > "Haraldur konungur elskaði mjög Íslendinga." (SNEGLU-HALLA ÞÁTTUR)
      >
      > Hi Tim,
      >
      > Sorry, I didn't really explain clearly enough what I meant. The
      > difference is that in each of these examples, the complement/object of
      > the verb is a noun. This is perfectly normal in Old Icelandic; most,
      > though not all, of the examples I saw had an animate noun as the
      > complement, as in these three examples. The anachronism is the use of
      > 'elska' with a clausal complement such as 'at ganga náttliga' to
      > describe an action which the subject of the verb 'elska' "likes/loves
      > to do".
      >
      > LN

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic