8061Re: Old Norse for 40 seconds

  • Stridmann
    Apr 3, 2007
      > > 'elska at...' Is it possible that this is a modernism?
      > This is very recent usage, totally anachronistic.

      I've found such exaples:

      "...elskaði hún hann mjög..." (EYRBYGGJA SAGA)
      "...Signý elskaði hann..." (HRANA SAGA HRINGS)
      "Haraldur konungur elskaði mjög Íslendinga." (SNEGLU-HALLA ÞÁTTUR)

      > Hjón does not mean "family".

      I know. This means "married couple, husband and wife", nut i wanted
      the simple word for translation.

      > "Feðgin", at least in prose, more normally means "father and
      > daughter", not "parents".
      > "Fífla" (fem!) is non-existent. "Fífl" is a neuter, and is used of
      > both genders.

      In both cases, see A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic, by Geir T.
      Zoëga.

      THANK YOU ALL A LOT!
      I'll make the updates soon!

      Tim