Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

6266Re: fell

Expand Messages
  • Blanc Voden
    May 1 8:26 AM
      In geography, a fell is a treeless mountain landscape that has been
      shaped by glacier ice earlier in history. It is the name used in the
      North of England for a large hill or small mountain, especially in
      the Lake District, made famous by the Victorian era Poet Laureate
      William Wordsworth. The valleys are known as dales.


      By this the scene/district of Hrafnkel'sSaga is fell: geographically.

      But EyvindarFjöll (2 really) are mountains as they have crest,

      Mountain range we name FjallGarða.

      In the map I noticed that that "Fell" are also Mountains.
      Fell/Fells plural Fell/Fella

      But Fell stand alone more like hill/knoll and the bottom is kind of
      circular. Mountains appear to be more elongated.

      In neigborhood of Eyvindarfjöll(823) we have: KálfaFell (794),
      SauðaFell, HafursFell(1088) and BúrFell. SnæFell is 1833 m.
      Also Glacier resting the knoll.

      This I reckon most accurate.

      Thanks Uoden

      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Fred and Grace Hatton"
      <hatton@...> wrote:
      > Fell is moorland, see "mýrlendi" "fjall or fjöll" we name
      > But Icelandic "Fell [FeDL]" are Rocky Hills or smaller than
      > mountains: "fjöll".
      > Hi Blanc,
      > I finally got a chance to look up fell in English. Gordon had
      > fjall to English as fell. In my big English dictionary it says a
      fell is a
      > moorland or barren or rocky hillside.
      > In American English, one rarely encounters the word moorland, but
      in the
      > English of Great Britain, there seem to be very many words for
      > sorts of moorlands.
      > Grace
      > Fred and Grace Hatton
      > Hawley Pa
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic