6260Re: fell

  • Blanc Voden
    May 1 4:53 AM
      Hi there Patricia,

      Thanks for the Link. "Whinny Muir"

      Some poetry?

      mu'ir
      noun feminine genitive mar'a; pl. mar'ann'an, sea, ocean.
      Whinny as neigh.

      The Icelandic "Bards" raconte that "Mar(r)" to "Mars" more
      are "Mar'ir" names Horse (male gender).

      But Male noun "Mar" to "Mar'ar" names sea ocean.

      "Mer(i)" to "Mer'ar" more females are "Mer'ar" also or "Hryss'ur"
      and match Horses (of male gender).

      See also female "MarTröð" nightmar(e)

      Blue, black "far" spot we name "mar'ið" (neutral): the bruise.

      [Berr'y'a>] "Berja" is to strike or glance(strike at an angle?)
      Proverb: "Berja með augum"
      [Merr'y'a>]"Merja" is action of pressing: leaves at least first
      bruises: "MarBletti"

      "Þú merð mig(h)": You bruise me.
      "Íeg(h) mer þig(h)": I bruise you.

      "Hneggjar Mar"

      Se also "el" in "fela" to hide and edd in Feddll>Fell.
      fed(d) that is manna [gentive of Menn.

      FaDL>"Fall" is also corpse of butchered animal. Refering to what
      falls, I reckon.

      Thanks again

      Uoden

      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia"
      <originalpatricia@...> wrote:

      > I have a dictionary in my PC that says Fell would be Scot. and
      N.England dialect for hill or moor, but also there is in Legend -
      Scottish Legend - a place of a sort of Spiritual Purgatory - called
      the
      > "Whinny Muir" or thorny moor where you soul goes to be proven if
      you done well or ill in life.
      > And let us not forget "Killarney's Lakes and Fells" surely they
      too are legendary.
      > I believe we would have to go both North and East of my county -
      Cheshire - to hear this word used unless we have no fells to speak
      of and therefore do not use the word.
      > Perhaps it is but lately consigned to poetry - we could revive it
      > Kveðja
      > Patricia
      >
      > http://www.scotscommunity.com/BOOKS/POETRY/A%20Lyke-Wake%
      20Dirge.htm

      > Verses regarding the "Whinny Muir" for those interested.

      Mountains.
      > But Icelandic "Fell [FeDL]" are Rocky Hills or smaller than
      > mountains: "fjöll".
      >
      > Hi Blanc,
      > I finally got a chance to look up fell in English. Gordon had
      translated
      > fjall to English as fell. In my big English dictionary it says
      a fell is a
      > moorland or barren or rocky hillside.
      >
      > In American English, one rarely encounters the word moorland,
      but in the
      > English of Great Britain, there seem to be very many words for
      different
      > sorts of moorlands.
      > Grace
      > Fred and Grace Hatton
      > Hawley Pa
      >

      > A Norse funny farm, overrun by smart people.

      > To escape from this funny farm try rattling off an e-mail to:

      course Social science degree
      > Social science education Bachelor of social science
      Social science major

      of Service.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic