5477Re: Maybe slightly off topic, but....

    Aug 13, 2005
      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, Reanna McFadden
      <reanna_mcfadden@y...> wrote:
      > Allright guys, this might be slightly off topic, but it's been
      driving me insane. :) I've been trying to figure out what the
      hell the runic inscription says, but all I ended up with was
      TP_DRG_JTRLOO... Don't ask me how. Either I am wayyyy off with
      this, or it says absolutely nothing (most likely). It's kind of
      hard to tell what some of them even are, but maybe that's just my
      computer. If you guys can help me out with this, I'd be grateful...
      thanks guys!
      > Reanna

      Not off-topic at all, Reanna. But I just use the Norse Course
      website and don't get messages sent to me as emails, so I haven't
      seen the attachment either. Can you upload it into the files or
      photos section? Failing that, I'll have a go (for what that's
      worth) if you send it to directly to my email address. Do you know
      the source of the inscription? If so we might be able to track down
      a picture online, even an explanation. If there are no explanations
      on line, but you know where it's from, we could look it up in
      the "Concordance to the Runic Database" here [
      http://www.engebretsen.se/run-konk/index.html ] -- warning: huge PDF
      file -- and search for it using Rundata, the Samnordisk
      runtextdatabas [
      http://web.telia.com/~u13403587/rundata/pc/pc.htm ]. Don't be put
      off by the page of Swedish, the actual program uses English and
      offers translations of inscriptions in English. If the inscription
      is in the Elder Futhark, we could also check Runenprojekt Kiel [
      http://www.runenprojekt.uni-kiel.de ]. One day soon hopefully,
      we'll also have "An English Dictionary of Inscriptions in the
      Younger Futhark" at our disposal [
      http://runicdictionary.nottingham.ac.uk/index.php ]. If the
      inscription comes from Bryggen in Norway, it should be transcribed,
      or - if incomprehensible - at least catalogued, in here [
      http://www.nb.no/baser/runer/eindex.html ]. And who knows but it
      might be one of the many inscriptions analysed at Arild Hauge's site
      [ http://www.arild-hauge.com ].

      Llama Nom
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic