2746Language shift: Finnish > Germanic

  • Jens Persson <arnljotr@yahoo.se>
    Mar 1, 2003
      Here is an interesting article about the language shift we had in
      Scandinavia for 2500-3000 years ago (it is a supposition, I should
      point out):
      http://www.taurnet.se/historia/jarnsvenska.htm
      I wonder, how is it with the etymology: are there more Indo-European
      etymological ''gaps'' for the Germanic words than for, e.g., the
      Greek or Latin ones? And what about the explanation that these gaps
      can be filled by non-Indo-European words? What about filling them
      with Finnish words?

      I should point out that with Finnish, I do not mean 21th century
      standard Finnish as spoken in Finland; one could imagine an archaic
      uncle within the Finno-Ugric frame.

      Skål ta mej faan!
      /Jens Persson, aka Arnljotr

      "Kan man adoptera barn från Colombia kan man väl också adoptera dem
      från bronsåldern."
      Annika Luther
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic