1693[norse_course] Re: quick question on 1 norse word

  • Selvarv Stigard
    Feb 2, 2002
      Bwn wrote:
      >Thanks for this information. I was trying to find some good example
      >of a Norse word beginning with "y" (not the letter, but the sound of
      >the first letter of English "yawn"--[j] in IPA) which is cognate with
      >an Old English word beginning with the sound "y" ([j] in IPA). I was
      >thinking 'gear'/"year"/'Jahr' would be a good example, but the Norse
      >seems to have lost the initial consonant. Thanks, Ben.

      oh, in that case:

      játa - yes
      jóð - youth
      Jól - Yule

      Selvårv Stigård
      Administrator, RagnarökR.com web site and email distribution
      "Beep-Beep! is the Esperanto of comedy."
      -Chuck Jones
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic