1692Re: quick question on 1 norse word

  • odysseus0042
    Feb 1 6:38 PM
      Thanks for this information. I was trying to find some good example
      of a Norse word beginning with "y" (not the letter, but the sound of
      the first letter of English "yawn"--[j] in IPA) which is cognate with
      an Old English word beginning with the sound "y" ([j] in IPA). I was
      thinking 'gear'/"year"/'Jahr' would be a good example, but the Norse
      seems to have lost the initial consonant. Thanks, Ben.

      --- In norse_course@y..., Selvarv Stigard <selvarv@r...> wrote:
      > Ben wrote:
      > >Could someone tell me the norse word for "year". I'm guessing it
      > >should be something like [jar] (in IPA transcription), cog.
      OE 'gear'
      > >& German 'Jahr'.
      >
      > ár - refers to both the year, and the year's harvest (har-vest
      > literally being "year-feast")
      >
      > -Selv
      >
      > --
      > Selvårv Stigård
      > selvarv@r...
      > Administrator, RagnarökR.com web site and email distribution
      > "Beep-Beep! is the Esperanto of comedy."
      > -Chuck Jones
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic