13149Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 77 end + 78 part 1 -- Rob's Translation

    Nov 26, 2013
      > Hann hafði glaðel í hendi sem títt er í útlöndum.

      > He had a sword in his hand as customary when in foreign
      > lands.

      > He had a lance (Baetke) in hand as customary abroad.

      > He had a sword (see CV, but a lance according to MM/HP) in
      > (his) hand as is (er) customary in foreign-lands.

      'Sword' is the etymological gloss, since the word is from
      Latin <gladiolus>. Since 'lance' is unetymological, I
      expect that there’s good evidence that it’s correct.

      > Með slíkri kurteisi ríður Bolli vestur í sveitir allt þar
      > til er hann kom til Helgafells með liði sínu.

      > With such chivalry, Bolli rides west in the district all
      > there to where he came to Helfafell with his troops.

      > With such nobility Bolli rides west in all (the) district
      > until he came to Helgafell with his company.

      > With such chivalry Bolli rides west into (the) districts
      > (plural) completely until he came to Helgafell with his
      > band.

      Here I think that ‘courtliness’ or something similar is
      probably closer to what’s intended than ‘chivalry’ as we
      normally use the term.

      > Bolli varð frægur af ferð þessi.
      > Bolli became famous from this trip.
      > Bolli was famous from this journey.
      > Bolli became famous from this journey.

      This one is a puzzle. <Ferð> is feminine, and this form can
      be nom., dat., or acc. sing. <Þessi> can be masc. nom.
      sing., fem. nom. sing., or neut. nom. or acc. plur. The
      only match is fem. nom. sing. However, <af> takes the
      dative, and I’d expect <af ferð þessari>.

      > Sú sótt fór ekki ótt.
      > His illness did not go vehemently.
      > That sickness did not go ??.
      > That sickness went not vehemently (rapidly?, óðr).

      The idea seems to be that it was a gradual sickness that
      progressed in measured fashion. Baetke also notes <fara
      ótt> 'to hurry'.

      > Létu synir Snorra sér það vel líka.

      > Snorri's sons comported themselves liked it. (??)

      > Snorri’s sons expressed approval of it.

      > (The) sons of Snorri caused (láta, Z5) to satisfy (líka)
      > themselves well with that (ie they accepted that well).

      I think that <létu> is Z10, making it ‘Snorri’s sons said
      that that pleased them well’.