13133Re: [norse_course] Laxdaela Saga 76 end + 77 beginning -- Rob's Translation

    Nov 11, 2013
      > Það er sagt einhverja nótt að meyna Herdísi dreymdi að
      > kona kæmi að henni.

      > It is said each night that maiden Herdis dreamt that a
      > woman came to her.

      > It is said some night that (the) girl, Herdis, dreamed
      > that a woman came to her.

      > That is said that one night (it) was-dreamed by maidenly
      > (young?) Herdís that a woman came to her.

      Noun <mey> plus article in the fem. acc. sing.; the subject
      of <dreyma> is typically in the accusative, and *meyina
      contracts to <meyna>.

      > Ekki sýndist henni konan svipleg.

      > It didn’t seem to her the woman had a displeasing air. (Z.
      > glosses this sentence under “svipligr.”)

      > She didn’t seem unhappy.

      > The-woman did not-seem to her (as) having-a-displeased-air
      > (svipligr, Z2)

      Either Zoëga meant ‘having a displeased air’ to apply to the
      whole phrase <ekki sýndist henni konan svipligr>, or he’s
      out of line with all of the other sources that I checked.
      The relevant gloss in CV is 'sightly', so that <ekki
      sviplig> here is 'unsightly'; Baetke has 'von angenehmem
      Aussehen (?)' ('of pleasant appearance (?)'); the notes to
      another edition gloss it „von gefälligem aussehen“, which is
      essentially the same thing; and MM&HP clearly interpret it
      that way as well (‘thought she looked very unpleasant’).
      This also fits the rest of the passage better.

      > En þó mundi eg við þig semja ef mér þætti eigi meiri bóta
      > vant þar sem Guðrún er.”

      > And yet I would treat with you if it didn’t seem to me
      > more a troublesome cure there where Gudrun is.”

      > But still I would agree with you if to me did not seem
      > more ? lacking there where Gudrun is.”

      > But nevertheless I would treat (get along, semja, Z2) with
      > you if (it) seemed to me not a wanting of greater remedies
      > (cures, bót, Z1) where Guðrún is (ie  if there weren´t so
      > many problems as far as Guðrún is concerned).”

      <Vant> is the adjective <vanr> 'lacking, wanting', which
      takes the genitive (here gen. plur. <bóta>) of the thing
      that is lacking: ‘if [it] did not seem to me lacking in more
      “betterings” there where Guðrún is’.

      > Um morguninn eftir lét Guðrún taka upp fjalar úr
      > kirkjugólfinu þar sem hún var vön að falla á knébeð.

      > During the next morning, Gudrun had boards taken out of
      > the church floor, there were she was accustomed to kneel.

      > During the next morning Gudrun had boards taken up from
      > the church floor there where she was accustomed to fall on
      > a knee cushion.

      > The next morning after, Guðrún caused to take up planks
      > (boards, fjöl) out-of the-church-floor where she was
      > accustomed to fall on (her) knee-bed /bolster, cushion).

      According to Zoëga, <falla á knébeð> is mildly idiomatic,
      being simply 'to kneel'.

      > Þau voru blá og illileg.

      > They were black and hideous. (“blá” can mean either blue
      > or black, and I thought “black” fit better)

      > They were black and hideous.

      > They were blue (black) and ill-looking.

      I’m inclined to interpret <blá> here as 'livid,
      black-and-blue'.

      > Þar fannst og kinga og seiðstafur mikill.

      > There were also found a brooch and a large enchanter’s
      > wand. (Good vocabulary for when I decide to read Harry
      > Potter in Old Icelandic J)

      It seems that you can at least read it in the modern
      language:

      Harry Potter og viskusteinninn
      Harry Potter og leyniklefinn
      Harry Potter og fanginn frá Azkaban
      Harry Potter og eldbikarinn
      Harry Potter og Fönixreglan
      Harry Potter og blendingsprinsinn
      Harry Potter og dauðadjásnin

      > Hann var kallaður Bolli hinn prúði.
      > He was called Bolli the showy.
      > He was called Bolli the powerful.
      > He was called Bolli the Magnificient (Showy?).

      Baetke makes it 'auf sein Ansehen bedacht, großartig
      auftretend; stattlich, prächtig' ('concerned about or
      careful of his appearance, magnificent appearing; handsome,
      impressive, stately, magnificent'). 'Showy' sounds good
      here.